Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I saw an ad on craigslist and I've been looking for a Subaru I can go off roading with and not care too much about.

I went and looked at it. It looks pretty decent for an older car. Has 100,000 miles. The interior is a little rough, but I'd be taking it out any ways. The car had a normal amount of dents and dings.

The big issue is it needs a new transmission. Its the 2.2 engine. I have a few questions:

1. Is this car even worth buying with the higher mileage?

2. How much (price range) would a new transmission be?

3. How hard is it to install? My BF has done RWD transmissions but never AWD

Thanks guys for an advice/input.

100K miles; I've never bought an Impreza with less than 120K to start with! 100K is not old for a Subaru. It will be time for a new timing belt if it hasn't been done recently.

Cost of a transmission....manual or automatic? Either way, find a used one that's okay and swap. If it's an automatice, a routine service and fluid change might solve its problems. Have an experienced mechanic check it out and give you an idea of what you're in for.

So, I saw an ad on craigslist and I've been looking for a Subaru I can go off roading with and not care too much about.

I went and looked at it. It looks pretty decent for an older car. Has 100,000 miles. The interior is a little rough, but I'd be taking it out any ways. The car had a normal amount of dents and dings.

The big issue is it needs a new transmission. Its the 2.2 engine. I have a few questions:

1. Is this car even worth buying with the higher mileage?

2. How much (price range) would a new transmission be?

3. How hard is it to install? My BF has done RWD transmissions but never AWD

Thanks guys for an advice/input.

1. 100,000 miles is nothing on an impreza, don't even worry about mileage until it's over 200,000

2. If you can go to a U-pull it junkyard and are capable of pulling it out, a trans is less than $100. There are several in the area (saw you are from PA also) From a regular junkyard they are a few hunded.

3. It is no more difficult than a RWD trans to install. The automatic is just big and heavy.

I really want to get it :) My car insurance was $500 less then I thought it was going to be. I am going to talk to the BF tonight more about it as he is the one that will be doing most of the work on it lol

Do you know of any local junkyards??

Edited by Kerplunk105

I almost blew iced tea out my nose at the high mileage comment ..:) All of mine except the 08 Impreza are all close to 200K or above.

We just did a tranny swap in my 95 Legacy ( the white one in the Barrens pic)It wasnt so bad we had the old one out and the new one in withing a day..then finished buttoning everything up the following weekend ( njdrsubaru and me get together every weekend for something involving cars). Harrys U Pull it is one of the places to go for parts. We will be going in a couple weeks again.

As for the tranny work itself...it is a 2 person job trying to get the new one ion ( actually it took 3 of us ) when you are trying to do it on the floor with the car on jack stands and using a large jack...if you have a lift and the right equiptment it should be easier.

I really want to get it :) I car insurance was $500 less then I thought it was going to be. I am going to talk to the BF tonight more about it as he is the one that will be doing most of the work on it lol

Do you know of any local junkyards??

Harry's U-pull it in pennsburg and EZ pull and save in New Ringgold are my favorites for subaru parts.

http://www.wegotused.com

http://www.joesusedautoparts.com/EZPull.html