Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks to everyone again who has helped so far here is a update. I attached a switch to the negative terminal of my battery and the other end to the spade of the solenoid therefore bypassing the ignition switch and the inhibitor. when I push the button I can hear the plunger move every time one out of like 20 times it would turn over. Very frustrated I went to disconnect from the spade and my solenoid is very very hot. Question is, Should it get that hot? and Any other ideas?:confused:

If I am reading your last post correctly you are grounding out the ignition lead to the starter solenoid. That lead is supposed to have 12 volts on it to run the solenoid not a ground connection. You are shorting the circuit when go to start the mode and so yes it will get hot. I am surprised you didn't blow a fuse.

If you can apply 12 volts to the solenoid and make the starter run then the starter and the solenoid are ok. The problem is somewhere in the circuit wiring that connects to the solenoid. Gloyle stated that this kind of trouble is mostly due to the relay which may be under the dash. I highly recommend you go to the Subaru web site and purchase the data you need to help you fix this.

Edited by Cougar

I am just assuming the relay that Gloyale mentioned is under the dash somewhere, I don't know that for sure. The service data will show you where it is.

The problem you are having is due to an intermittent connection that appears to be somewhere before the starter solenoid. Like I said before, if you can make the solenoid work by applying 12 volts to the solenoid contact that is normally tied to the ignition switch then the solenoid is ok and the trouble is before that point.