Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Swap Won't start

I just put and engine in a 88 subaru that came out of a 87 Subaru. The 87 was 2wd the 88 is 4wd. The gas gauges is low and it has been sitting for about a year and a half.

It starts very roughly on Ether, but doesn't really run.

I am amost sure I got the Timing belts on right and have turned and checked the dist.

Could it just be bad gas? I Know that the fuel is getting to the throttle body.

Help - I need to get it fixed tonight or it might never happen.

I don't seem to have fuel in the throttle body. I just swapped injectors and I don't seem to have any fuel spraying in? Could it be an electrical problem? Any one know if there is a fuse that I should be checking?

I have had this engine torn down for headgaskets and everything looked good. Any ideas?

Connect the green test connectors (near the wiper motor, or should be), then turn the key to On (not start).

The two solenoids under the hood should start clicking on-off, and the fuel pump should pulse with them. If it isn't pulsing, I'd start by jumping power directly to the pump and seeing if it works. From there I'd check the fuel pump relay.

Good luck

-Dave

I don't seem to have fuel in the throttle body. I just swapped injectors and I don't seem to have any fuel spraying in? Could it be an electrical problem? Any one know if there is a fuse that I should be checking?

I have had this engine torn down for headgaskets and everything looked good. Any ideas?

The fuel supply line needs to be connected to the straigh fuel line, forward most I believe. NOT to the line that comes right off the fuel pressure regulator. The curved line coming out of the pressure regulator is the fuel return.

I'll bet you have the 2 lines swapped.

I connected the green connector and everything clicked and the pump ran like it should.

I had the injector out and we tried to start it and the fuel flowed in to the Throttle body like it is supposed to so I think that I have the lines right (we also switched them at one point and when we took them back off to switch back there was alot of pressure in the sending line because it was hooked up to the wrong side)

I still am not seeing any fuel coming into the thottle body when we try to start it. This car died on me suddenly with the other engine in it. I assumed that there was some sort of engine problem because there seemed to be oil in the coolant. Coiuld there just be a short somewhere? how can i test the Electrical lines that feed the Throttle body? We tested the resistance on the throttle body but that doesn't tell us if it is getting what it need to work, just that it should work if it does.

I am probably going to take it back down to the timing belts and just make sure that I didn't screw that up, but with no fuel, there is no way it is going to work anyway.

I'm looking for any ideas at this point.

Thanks

Are ytou still using you're original intake? Or did you swap those as well?

At any rate test that the injector has 12v with the key on.

If that is good, then place a test light probe on the negative (red/black stripe) and clip the lead to the pos. terminal of the battery.

Try to start the car, and watch for pulsing on the test light. if no pulsing, then you need to figure out why ECU isn't sending a pulse.

Probably a crank angle sensor(inside the disty) issue. Are you sire the Disty is hooked up right?

There may be some hints to the trouble if you check for codes in the ECU. If a sensor is bad there should be a code for it. From what you stated about how the engine died it sounds to me that either a sensor has gone bad or the ECU may have some trouble internally. Possibly not turning on the injectors. I like the advice that Gloyale gave you in the last post so check the things he said to do.

One other thing, if you haven't checked the fuses and fusible links for a bad one then I suggest you do that. There are also some connections to the ECU that are providing power to it through a relay and that is another possible trouble spot.

• 2 weeks later...

:banana:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and advice. Was distracted with a home sewer issue so set the Subaru problem aside for a bit. Got back to it this morning. Thanks very much for aiming me at the disty. Now I'm wiping egg off my face after plugging in the crank angle sensor.