Ultimate Subaru Message Board

awd drive conversion in my loyale

loyalewcheese

i have a 92 legacy thats smashed up

and a 94 loyale that needs an overhaul.

I have seen numerous ej22 conversion topics on putting the ej engine to a ea tranny.

can i use the awd 5 spd from my legacy?

will i need to a special crossmember?

how can i get awd and hi and low?

What cvs do i need?

how about the rear driveshaft?

I have both complete cars. I am collecting information and thinking about paying someone to do the wireing.

Can i put the suspension and hubs from the legacy on the loyale? what if i change the top hats on the struts. will the ball joint studs be the same?

I like the 5 lug and disc brakes.

The legacy was a good car buy The loyale re powered would be better.

I intend to lift this some time in the future too.

Or does anyone have a 5spd hi/lo they don't need.

eric in seattle

First off, there's a writeup of the ej22 swap into your loyale. Find it here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69741

I am not sure on the AWD tranny from the legacy and how it would fit but a custom Xmember seems like it would be needed. Otherwise the only other AWd tranny is from the 87-89 RX's that had the full time 4wd with the center diff lock. To swap one of those in you would want to contack Bratsrus1 and get his 5speed conversion kit. Its TOTALLY worth it, making the 5 speed bolt rite up. The RX tranny uses 25 spline axles, so if using stock suspension, you'd need a custom axle with a 23 spline inner and a 25 spline outer. If you want to do the 5 lug conversion at the same time here's the link:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50400

I had a bracket made for the ea82/5speed rear driveshaft that bolts to the floorboard underneath the seats.

Thats a start I hope it helps.

Welcome to the USMB!!!!

all of what you've talked about has been done or discussed, most of which at great length.

There's a thread stickied to the top of this section with a list of those of us who have done major projects like this, have a look through there, if you see a setup you like, start searching for posts by that person.

also look for threads about 5-lug swaps. there are many about this (specifically, a thread in the USRM suspension/steering section, and a thread in this section by Poormanzimpreza with tons of pictures of everything involved).