Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2001 Legacy Outback and I feel like I am missing a step or something. Its been a super simple procedure and have read up on how to do this is a Subaru here in the search features and other sites, but I still cannot get the outer spline passenger side at the rotor to come off.

I have completed:

Removed spring pin at inner passenger CV joint.

Slid the shaft off of trans.

Removed 32mm bolt.

48 hours of penetrating oil in spines.

Dropped the control arm off at ball joint.

Pounded the living heck out of the outer shaft with 4lb sledge, but its not budging even one bit.

Link of pictured website showing step by step by somebody else.

There appears to be zero rust inside the spline area and everything looks like you could eat off the area its so clean.

Have I missed something because its not moving ... HELP ?!?!?!

Thanks for the reply.

I thought I would update for future searches.

I used a large puller which did not get it off either, however the combination of the puller pressure and a few whacks of the 4lb sledge and it came lose. It fought the entire way out. I kept squirting it with penetrating oil and kept using the puller and it eventually came out. It looked like the splines had rust on them and seized them up as suspected.

Thanks again. :)

in general pulling the strut bolts is easier than the control arm/ball joint. mark the top bolt to install back in it's original position as it controls alignment.

ball joints are typically MUCH harder to get out due to rust/seizing than axle shafts. i've never had a problem pulling an axle. but ball joints - always a headache. seized in place, tear the ball joint boot, rusted and sheared off pinch bolts, the ball joint seized in the control arm and housing much like your axle, and the housings can crack too....just an overall nightmare usually. after owning 30+ subaru's, and working on others, i can say that's common, not just anecdotal!