Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel pump wiring

thanks. i pulled the wiring diagram and traced it to the VR however i thought this must be wrong. tonight i was going to try the ignition wire in the column however i do like going back to the VR since that's where it came from in the first place. thanks.

worked on wiring and found it more difficult to take power from VR for fuel pump. white wire from VR for pump is not switched but always on. ended up taking wire from radio, since i have none and used this. just hope the voltage is enough to power pump long term.

my tach is now acting up - movement at times jerky, sometimes will register at certain rpms and then fall to 0, sometimes just idle and then falls to 0. is the tach mechanical and therefore the cable suspect (since that is what it is acting like).

• 3 weeks later...

thx for response. had trouble tracing wire for pump and the radio source was handy. this weekend expect to find fuse located by glovebox as was earlier suggested and will see if i can be correct source wire working. by the way, sourcing from radio (have removed radio and console) it has now worked for nearly a month with no problem.

also, pls explain more why replacing voltage regulator might help? thanks.

The voltage regulator supplies the power to the fuel pump. I have been having a similar issue. The guys on here told me to try taking the "power" wire off of the fuel pump and use a jumper wire from the fuel pump to the battery and see if the fuel pump worked that way..which it did. They told me that would tell me if the V/R was bad or not. So I got a new voltage regulator, put it on, and no more fuel pump issues.

Edited by bratgrl
clarification purposes