Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange brake symptoms - 96 Legacy wagon

I have a strange set of symptoms with the front brakes on my 96 GT wagon:

The front brakes had been pulsing during hard braking, so I assumed it was a warped rotor, and had them replaced. No dice. I still get the pulsating, though it does seem like it only happens when I brake very hard - before it was evident more often.

Also, since the rotor replacement (and one of the calipers - the shop broke a bolt) I get a very noticeable and disconcerting banging from under the car when braking, but only infrequently. The only consistent thing about the episodes it that it seems to happen when I brake as the car is going over bumps. There's a particular spot where it seems to happen most: when I brake on a certain bridge as I drive over a series of expansion joints. It hasn't ever happened on smooth pavement.

Any ideas???

I am thinking that turning the rotors did not get rid of all the warpage, so it still presents the pulsating. I would suggest buying new rotors.

Regarding the banging noise, sounds like a brake component could be loose. When the shop broke the bolt, was a correct size bolt used as a replacement on the caliper? Did the shop replace the bolt at all? Maybe the bolt sheared off, and the shop never bothered drilling out the rest of the bolt.

Having a repair shop return your car to you with continued brake pulsating, breaking a bolt, and then the newly created banging sound doesn't speak well for the work they did on your car. Their test driving the car after working on the car, should have shown them their deficiencies. If it were me, I would be reluctant to have that shop do any more work on my car.

I am thinking that turning the rotors did not get rid of all the warpage, so it still presents the pulsating. I would suggest buying new rotors.

Regarding the banging noise, sounds like a brake component could be loose. When the shop broke the bolt, was a correct size bolt used as a replacement on the caliper? Did the shop replace the bolt at all? Maybe the bolt sheared off, and the shop never bothered drilling out the rest of the bolt.

Having a repair shop return your car to you with continued brake pulsating, breaking a bolt, and then the newly created banging sound doesn't speak well for the work they did on your car. Their test driving the car after working on the car, should have shown them their deficiencies. If it were me, I would be reluctant to have that shop do any more work on my car.

The rotors were replaced with new - they didn't turn the old ones.

I didn't notice the strange behavior until a few weeks after I got it back, and I'm sure that they will deny it was their issue. I don't need that fight.

The shop has messed up a couple of other sloppy things. I won't be going back there.