Ultimate Subaru Message Board

was trying to tighten down the RH camshaft. This is the unloaded camshaft, i noted it had some forward backwards play in it.

Well when i went to torque it down, it skipped.. a few times.

The crank did not turn with it as it was being held down with a pry bar in the fly wheel.. what's happened now..?

single, but 97 EJ22 - its an interference motor.

If i'm turning the engine by hand and the valves come in contact with the piston i'm just not going to be able to turn it anymore right? It shouldnt bend the valve if i'm just turning by hand?

if the crank was in it's 'proper' timing position, the valves won't touch the pistons. even if the pistons were in the wrong place, i doubt there would be any damage, you weren't turning it at 3000 rpms. you should be ok.

there's even some evidence to support the idea that the 97 - 98 ej22 are 'free wheeling' but i wouldn't bet on it (endwrench.com). the repair cost is too high to take the risk.

Based on what I've witnessed (and sweated out myself) on a SOHC as long as the crank was in position I've been o.k.

Actually that cam has enough load that I always imagined a fella could still bend the valves turning it by hand and not know.