Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 lug conversion

A ton and you'll have to fabricate some parts too. If you're looking to put XT6 stuff on your rig. I'm wondering if you couldn't just have a machine shop weld up and redrill the EA81 hubs to match the 5 lug pattern.

well I was thinking to do t 5 lug swap on mine 1989 gl wagon and what parts do I have to take off legacy wagon-friends parts car

can you gays please help me becaus I want bigger rims on mine wagon 13" is just not looking good

this must be done becaus I will swap the engine from EA82 to EA82T

I looked that article over, and have a few questions since I know little about the newer cars.

I have a 2wd 93 Legacy I am yanking the EJ out of, can I use those struts, hubs, and rotors with XT6 calipers in a 5lug conversion? I would probably put the EA82 tops on the struts to save body mods.

The EA is an 89 AWD wagon, I am not planning on going anywhere heightwise, just throw on the 16s on the Legacy now.

you definitely can use those legacy struts and knuckles.

I've heard that XT6 calipers bolt right up to EJ knuckles. but can't confirm.

you will want to use the XT6 rotors though, as their a slightly different diameter.

strut top differences are only a few mm. I was able to get the EJ top hats onto my loyale without any modification, and a few seconds with the dremel on my XT6.

EJ control arms are completely different.

EJ/XT6 ball joints are larger and will not seat in EA control arm. an XT6 control arm will bridge the gap, bolting perfectly up to EA82 suspension, but having the larger ball joint hole.

you could ream out the EA82 control arm.

or another option (and pictures of an EJ ball joint in an EA82 control arm) here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97074

That thread has some interesting ideas. I'm leaning more towards reaming out the hole in the control arms, unless that shim still allows good ball joint retention. If it does, then I might go that route instead since this area seems to have been declared an XT6-free zone.

I'd assume a bit softer ride, the Legacy tended to be sprung and valved softer than the Impreza. There may also be a slightly higher ride height, depending on what years and models.

correction: sprung and valved softer than the impreza considering their weight. i.e. they're almost identical.

• 2 weeks later...