Ultimate Subaru Message Board

benchpressing 250 pound transmission at 2 in the morning...

just finished putting my 4EAT back in... for the second time..

changed the rear main (again) and resealed the oil separator plate since i can't say for sure what was leaking from the first time i did it.. put a thin coat of sealant around the outside of the rear main which will hopefully prevent any leaks in the event that i stupidly installed it wrong again...

if that thing is still leaking, i'm letting the mechanic do it. pulling the transmission twice is more than i would like already...

yeah i've done that job before as well with no help from equipment = rough.

rear seals plain suck, there's a number of folks that have had problems getting them to reseal properly.

was it leaking to begin with or why did you replace it?

For the future, it would be easier to unbolt the engine mount, torque converter, and exhaust bolts. Remove the radiator.

Then using a jack under the engine just lift and roll it forward in the engine bay.

I would never choose to pull a 4EAT out the bottom unless it HAD to come out.

5speeds are easy, but 4EATs are too heavy for all that jazz.

For the future, it would be easier to unbolt the engine mount, torque converter, and exhaust bolts. Remove the radiator.

Then using a jack under the engine just lift and roll it forward in the engine bay.

I would never choose to pull a 4EAT out the bottom unless it HAD to come out.

5speeds are easy, but 4EATs are too heavy for all that jazz.

everyone says its easier to pull the motor.. but there are so many more steps/connections!

and what about the AC? You have to recharge it again after that?

yeah i've done that job before as well with no help from equipment = rough.

rear seals plain suck, there's a number of folks that have had problems getting them to reseal properly.

was it leaking to begin with or why did you replace it?

I replaced it because i was back there for the oil separator... lesson learned, never touch that rear main seal unless it is leaking.

If that thing is still leaking this time, i'm not doing it again.. it's going into the mechanic.

I did make one mistake though which i hope doesn't come back to haunt me... i only torqued the drive plate bolts down to 40 ft-lb instead of 52 ft-lb.. for some reason i remembered them as 40. I did use loctite though, so i figure it should be okay... or i hope i should say..

everyone says its easier to pull the motor.. but there are so many more steps/connections!

and what about the AC? You have to recharge it again after that?

All you do with the A/C is unbolt the pump and move the whole assembly to the side. No need to disconnect any of the fittings etc.