Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You probably need the little round plastic thing, it's above the E.G.R. valve. It has the four vacum lines on it mine has three on the top and one on the bottom. It also has three letters on the top of it , I think mine has P. R. & Q. on it.

Edited by tcspeer

Let me add one more thing, my car is a 99 outback but i just put a 96 2.2l in so this engine has been sitting around in the junkyard for a while. I'm sure that doesnt help. But i was wondering if i could use the BPT valve from my old 2.5l engine. Is it compatible? Thanks for guidance so far!

let me ask one more thing/ bump; i pulled the egr valve to clean it and it is absolutely caked with cabon, so i'm going to clean that with some carb cleaner. But the egr port is also filled with cabon... is there any way to clean that?

I would check to see if it flows by running the car, and pulling the diaphragm open with your fingers at an idle (if it is installed) or by putting your finger over the hole to get the engine to run smoothly.The engine should stumble, almost die while the valve/hole is open. If it is flowing, you could then run carb spray through it, but I have had minimal success with that, you'd need to find an EGR system cleaner or use "top engine cleaner". I know GM sells this at their dealerships, but am uncertain if Subaru does. Best to let any chemical sit and soak for a few minutes while the engine is warm.

If the system is flowing properly, the BPT valve is usually the culprit. All BPT valves are the same from what I have seen so yours should do the trick.

I don't want to state the obvious, but... Does the 96 2.2 have EGR as well? What intake manifold are you using?