Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How bizarre is this ?

Okay, here's the deal. I get in my BRAT to go to work last week, and pull the headlight switch, and crap! no headlights:confused:. Jump in Jeep, go to work. Leaving on vacation the next day, will deal with BRAT when I get back...

Get back home, yesterday I put new shocks on the rear, (that was an adventure in itself trying to find the correct shocks), get ready to tackle the headlight situation, (checked fuses, they were okay), and pull the switch just to test them one more time, and VIOLA! they work. :banana: So, I put away all the tools, clean up the garage and park the car for the night. Get in the car this morning to go to work, pull switch, no lights.:mad:

The only difference between yesterday afternoon and this morning...the hood was up on the car when the lights worked. Soooo, what the heck??? My hood has been acting strange for a while too. It won't "pop" up when I unlatch it sometimes, so you need two people to get it open, and then when it is unlatched, it is a bear to lift up. It's almost like someone is sitting on it holding it down. And it is hitting the panel between it and the windshield on the drivers side corner unless you kinda pull it towards you while you're lifting it. Could it be catching on wiring where the hinges go behind the firewall or something? Would that make the hood hard to lift, and freak out my headlights. It's weird, because they have worked just fine until now, even with the hood issues I've been having. I am totally perplexed:confused:.

So, what do all you way more knowledgable than me people think??? I'm going to try to figure it out this afternoon when I get home, but any input would be helpful.. Thanks in advance....

Bobby

Talked to Todd (Subaru3) today, and he gave me the skinny on my light situation. Got home from work, checked it like he told me to, and whadyaknow? He was right. The High/Low beam switch in the steering column must be going out, cause I got the lights to work on low beam by fiddling with fuses and whatnot, and when I switched them to high beam, no lights. So I guess I have a new project for this weekend to see if I can get the steering wheel off and see what's up in there. Thanks for your help Todd.

Bobby

Edited by bratgrl
Got new info

THose "stalks" were showing up on eBay once. I'd also - just for kicks - take the fuse out and pull on both ends. Skip once traced mine back to that fuse end being loose but I never noticed it when I pulled it to check.

I'm pretty sure once of us will have a used stalk for you if you need one. "Combination switch" if you're searching.

THose "stalks" were showing up on eBay once. I'd also - just for kicks - take the fuse out and pull on both ends. Skip once traced mine back to that fuse end being loose but I never noticed it when I pulled it to check.

I'm pretty sure once of us will have a used stalk for you if you need one. "Combination switch" if you're searching.

Thanks, I'll have to try that. Did you have any luck in locating a radio for my Brat? I don't know if you recall, but we talked about it a while ago. Nothing fancy, just a basic radio with push buttons instead of a "tuner" knob like the one I have now that won't stay on the station. Don't need a cassette player in it, but if you have one, that's okay too. Let me know..Thanks,

Bobby.

I haven't forgotten but just haven't gotten to sort thru it all yet. Cassette will be near impossible for me to produce. Good old AM/FM I know I did set one aside for you and there's alos a box with a few radios in it somewhere. We noticed that the early 80's radios fit pretty good too if that helps in the meantime.

Thanks, I'll have to try that. Did you have any luck in locating a radio for my Brat? I don't know if you recall, but we talked about it a while ago. Nothing fancy, just a basic radio with push buttons instead of a "tuner" knob like the one I have now that won't stay on the station. Don't need a cassette player in it, but if you have one, that's okay too. Let me know..Thanks,

Bobby.

I haven't forgotten but just haven't gotten to sort thru it all yet. Cassette will be near impossible for me to produce. Good old AM/FM I know I did set one aside for you and there's alos a box with a few radios in it somewhere. We noticed that the early 80's radios fit pretty good too if that helps in the meantime.

No problem. I really don't listen to the radio all that much, 'cause it won't stay tuned on the staion and it drives me mad to keep dialing it in. Cassette is not important to me, just want a radio with push buttons. Let me know how much it would be for the radio and shipping to 84065 and I can paypal you or however you want me to handle it. Thanks a bunch

Bobby.

Got the lights to work on low beam. Haven't had a chance to get in the steering column to check out the comboswitch deal yet. I was going to do that after I washed it, but now I need to get the other problem I created fixed firt...