Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you help w/ compatibility of Impreza rear glass/gate?

I have a '98 Impreza L hatchback, and some jerk smashed my rear window last week. All the glass places tell me that the glass is no longer made in the aftermarket, so I'd have to buy OEM glass, which is very expensive. The cheapest I could find was $325, but it would have to be shipped, and then I still have to pay for installation.

A junk yard said they have the glass, and it would cost $175 (which is, btw, more than new aftermarket glass was when it was available).

They also said I can have the whole gate for $200.

What I need help with is the compatibility of different models and gates. They have two that are from the Outback Sport models, but said they were incompatible. Is it the same gate just with the spoilers? I kinda want the spoilers :grin:

Can anyone tell me what years are compatible?

Here's my thinking: If I buy the used glass, I'll have to pay a glass guy to install it, and the total cost will be about $275-300.

If I buy the gate, I'll have to paint it ($50?) and get a buddy to help install it, and maybe rent a truck to go pick it up. (It won't fit inside the car, will it?) Total cost: about $250. It's more of a pain in the rump roast, though, but I'll get the Outback style spoilers.

What do you guys think?

The recycling establishment probably goes by their interchange catalog and indeed if one model has a spoiler, it would come up with a different number.

Also, on 1st gen. Impreza the top spoiler is actually mounted to the glass. For earlier years, I believe through 1996, it was bolted to the brackets which were glued to the glass and later on, it was just double-sided sticky tape. It's more likely that they have the later type, in which case it's easy to buy the spoiler separately.

I believe the sheetmetal, hinges and lock are all the same. You may have to transfer the wiring harness because there was a change to intermittent wiper in 1997. That same year they eliminated a separate bottle in the back for the rear washer, but the hose connection will be on the left side in any case.

Edited by avk

The scrap yard had a gate for an '01 that had both spoilers. Maybe next week I'll get a chance to paint it the same color as the rest of the car.

The gate itself was incredibly easy to install, it was the trim that gave me fits. God, what an unbelievable pain!

The entire gate (including the wiper assy, stop light, glass, both spoilers, and struts and everything else) was $225. He originally quoted me $175 for the glass and $200 for the gate, but when I told him I wanted a gate with both spoilers he changed his mind to $225.

The top spoiler is bolted to two straps that wrap around the glass, which are bolted to the sheet metal.

Those brackets are actually glued to the glass, and the small screws holding them to the gate are for extra safety. This type of spoiler was installed at the factory in Japan.