Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Automatic question

jbain8

Hello everyone, I've been doing some offroading with my D/R buggy and now I feel I want to add a Nissan TCase for gearing and an automatic for crawling. My question is will the 3spd pushbutton single range auto's of the mid to late 80's handle 26in tires and a 1200 pound buggy? Thanks in advance

With the weight reduction of a buggy, it may be able to handle the 26 tires.

I would look into an early 4EAT though.

It'll give you a better gearing ratio and stronger gearing, seeing that it was

designed to push around a bigger car than an GL's.

Just find one in the jy that's wrecked, no beautiful bodies to pull from.

Chances are the nice ones have an issue.

Idk if the 4EAT came in a selectable 4wd for though...

Just keep checking, I'm sure you'll find something that suits your needs.

Twitch

the 3eat will not stand up.like stated, the 4eat would, but it would need to be gone through i would think.they do make a selectable auto switch set(allows you too run your auto like a manual if need be)

i am looking into a similiar option for my rig.so i can teach the kids to drive.:grin:

i would look into the samurai transfer case as the low gear sets are wAy cheaper , and lower than the nissan options.cheers, brian

Get a 4eat like stated, then weld the center diff so it wont burn up being used rwd all the time, then it should be able to handle it, I think Outbacks came with 27" tires factory? So it should be fine :banana: Oh and since you'd then have the divorced front diff, drop in some 4.11 or 4.44 gears for better crawling power

-Bill

Get a 4eat like stated, then weld the center diff so it wont burn up being used rwd all the time,

-Bill

There is no differential in a 4EAT. It is a hydraulic clutch pack. It may be hard to weld because of the layers of plates with friction material in them.

Also, If this is going behind a EA82, he will need a later XT or a GL turbo/RX with 4EAT, or at very least the bellhousing/front diff section from one to use on an EJ 4EAT .

And then there is the matter of the TCU. It will want signals from the TPS of the donor car. It may work without that signal, but will have a hard time deciding when to shift.

Honestly, If you are going to a T-case, you might as well make an adapter to use a RWD automatic from a Sidekick, 4cyl. Ford ranger, or other small RWD truck