Ultimate Subaru Message Board

From what you describe I would suspect that the power window switch is dirty on the up contacts. You can try spraying some electrical contact spray into the switch as it is in the door. Cycle the switch several times and then give the spray 5 minutes to evaporate before turning on the ignition and trying the switch.

If this doesn't do the job, you may have to pop the entire switch assembly out of the door panel to get the spray into any openings in the switch that you can find, and then do the cycle and evaporate routines again.

As a last resort, these switches are usually easy to take apart to get at the copper contacts to clean them up. Just be very careful when prying it apart. Put the switch and your hands inside a large zip-lock baggy when you open it up, in order to catch any springs and contacts that may fly out and get lost.

I've done quite a few of these switch cleanups and tiny light bulb changes inside of lighted switches over the years, and they are pretty straight forward if you take these precautions. Good Luck!

Thanks.

Yes, I took the door panel out today and cleaned the switches. Interestingly, i had two problems. The first one was a broken switch - the tiny thing that fits into the spring on the switch was slightly broken and hence not pushing fully against the contact. As a result, I wasn't even getting a "click" on when the switch was pushed up.

When I swapped that piece with another switch, it worked for a minute and stopped working. Then I cleaned the contact again and it worked...

For those wondering about removing door panel on 98 outback - there are only two screws - one on the arm rest, and one on the inside lock.

Initially I was hoping to do it without removing the door panel. The power window switch cover just pops out. After that I tried removing the piece of plastic that goes around the inside lock and power switch - however that does NOT come out.