Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally, tunes! And a lesson within...

A couple weeks ago i replaced the (barely) functional old CD deck that came in my BRAT with a much newer MP3 deck. Got everthing together and... no power.

Today I got around to checking into why. Thought it was a bad connection between the wire that had been run from the batt for 12V constant and the memory lead wire, since someone had used (ahem) 12 gauge wire for the job... Had trouble splicing it.

So after cutting apart the harness and splicing it all together.. nothing. GRR! Looked under the hood, and the fuse on said 12V constant wire had been blown. Someone long ago had put a 3A fuse there, and I guess the new deck was WAY too much for that. removed the old Buss fuse holder and put in a new 10A mini-blade fuse holder and voila! Tunes!

Now to find somewhere to put the 2nd set of speakers...

Anyway, moral of the story: Always check the easiest, dumbest thing first. :P

Actually, my BRAT doesn't have any original speakers, and the door skins were out of a Hatch that didn't have front door speakers either. Clean look.

I've got a pair of 6x9's in enclosures behind the front seats. I've discovered that the space between the back of my "new" low-rise console and the back wall could easily fit my pair of 4" speakers in a custom box, right on the hump. Much easier than my original plan, which was to hunt down someone who does fiberglass and build pods on the B-pillars. Just need to find grilles and some carpet now... already have the MDF and speakers. :P

Head unit is a JVC Arsenal, forget which model. Single-disc MP3 player. About 3 years old, but was only used for about 6 months before my friend took it out of his old car... his new car ended up having a nicer stereo in it when he bought it, so that's how I came into possession of this one.