Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatchback strut removal for replacement

It looks like the ball stud would be very hard to pop out of the socket because the wire retainer spreads out and wedges itself between the two. You have to remove the stud somehow, it's replaceable.

o.k. - misplaced my camera this afternoon. You'll have to take my word for it.

At the bottom where the ball joint is there is a nut where it attaches to the body of the car. INSIDE the car there is a nut that will take a socket. The nut on the outside is for an open end wrench to hold things while you take off the nut on the inside.

Don't pull apart the joint.

o.k. - misplaced my camera this afternoon. You'll have to take my word for it.

At the bottom where the ball joint is there is a nut where it attaches to the body of the car. INSIDE the car there is a nut that will take a socket. The nut on the outside is for an open end wrench to hold things while you take off the nut on the inside.

Don't pull apart the joint.

Thanks for the info. The upper 2 bolts are removed and when I rotate the cylinder, the ball joint-nut(or bolt) is unscrewing. Have not touched it other than that, it is still hanging there. Also that ball joint screw is rusted so it should also be changed out, but still need to know how to remove the ball joint from the cylinder socket. Something locks it in there. It looks like the new one has a spring clip inside it.

If I think about it I'll look tomorrow. I have 2 good used ones on my Breezeway I was debating about putting on Ebay. If not I'll keep them around I know they were good.

Some of those little clips are kinda bizarre. I've had to replace some on Volvo's. A bit over engineered.

I've always replaced the whole assy on Suby's rather than just the strut.

If I may ask what breand did you buy and what did they cost?

If I think about it I'll look tomorrow. I have 2 good used ones on my Breezeway I was debating about putting on Ebay. If not I'll keep them around I know they were good.

Some of those little clips are kinda bizarre. I've had to replace some on Volvo's. A bit over engineered.

I've always replaced the whole assy on Suby's rather than just the strut.

If I may ask what breand did you buy and what did they cost?

I haven't seen the Volvos but would say these are completely overdesigned or poor design to put it better. A better method would have been to design 2 notches and use an external retaining spring clip to hold it on.

I bought all OEM Sub parts from the dealer-negotiated a discount since I bought so many parts. I have to find the invoice, but I think both were something like $30-$35 each. I will get back to you on it. I have used aftermarket before with good results. I may have saved $15-$20, but didn't want to take the chance with having an incompatable fit. Still need to figure out how to separate the ball from the socket.

Edited by 98sub2500leg
clarification

When I was helping a friend change a lift support on a 2000 Outback, the new part did come with a new stud.

Yeah, that seems to make sense. The water runs on that upper bracket and down to the ball. Both are rusted out. I didn't notice the new packages were ever opened. Both are dealer OEM. I will check with them. Thanks.