Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Half Shaft Inner CV Joint Design Question

It appears that on some models and years Suabru used two different designs for the inner CV Joint on the front half shafts. I almost think it's an automatic versus stick thing, but anyway. One Design uses a cage and a series of several ( I believe 6) Balls that ride in the cup. The other design uses what look like almost 3 ball bearing assemblies that ride in the cup. Below are links to pics of each.

Design 1 (6 Ball)

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00IMLEugaKJHoFM/Inner-Cv-Joint-for-Lada-LD-I-502-.jpg

Design 2 (3 Bearing assemblies)

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00hBetRMKGOpkTM/Inner-CV-Joint-for-Honda-HO-3705-.jpg

So the question is, which of the two designs is stronger and what are the advantages or disadvantages of each?

Keith

My understanding is that it is more of a year-to-year and model-to-model difference. The ball-and-cage design is known as Rzeppa joint (after its Czech-American inventor), and the other one is known simply as "tripod". The tripod type is supposedly good for more torque and is also called "shudderless". It was used on SVX early on. My '95 Impreza has ball and cage inner joints, and the minivan has tripods.

the first design with the 6 balls i believe is somewhat older at least for subaru....Ive rebuilt dozens of inner DOJ's and as far back as 95 legacies and such they have been the 3 bearing type (your #2 selection)...So personally Im prob. going to say the 3 bearing type is prob. stronger...however i have yet to disect an 08 or 09 inner DOJ so I am unsure as to what there design is...

Edited by EVOthis

Ive rebuilt dozens of inner DOJ's and as far back as 95 legacies and such they have been the 3 bearing type (your #2 selection)...

That's interesting because I've done a few 95 and 96, Legacy and Impreza, all 5 speeds, and they have all been the ball and cage design. The few that we got from a junk yard that have the 3 bearing design we think came from early impreza automatics.