Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine swap into GL

26i4x4guru

Hi, i got a 82' GL EA81 that i want to lift for a wheeler. My buddy has an 86' with a 2.2 legacy engine in it so i know i can do that. But i want to go above and beyond and want to put a 3.3 SVX engine in it. Now im new to the game and dont know if the 3.3 is possible. Would it bolt up to the dual-range transmission? Would the engine mounts marry-up togethor? Would the 3.3 have to much power and destro the engine?

Any words of advice would be awesome.

Thanks

I would bolt up with the same adaptor as the EJ22. You would want to swap out to the EA82 5 speed D/R transmission.

It will NOT fit between the transmission and the radiator. You will have to get very creative with the front end. Possibly remote mount the radiator or put it on top of the engine.

You will definitely destroy transmissions with 230 HP. It's far too much power for a trail wheeler. Sand Rail yes (behind a VW tranny), crawler no.

Parts are very expensive and rare for that engine - not worth the added expense of upkeep and maintenance - especially in a wheeler.

Very bad choice, but it could be done.

For a wheeler, the EJ22 is the best way to go. Plenty of power (add a small turbo at low boost if you need a bit more), very low cost operation, plentiful and cheap parts as well as whole replacement engines easily found under every rock. Most reliable engine Subaru has ever produced.

GD