Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help, XT 5 lug conversion

Steve W.

I'm finishing up with the 5 lug conversion on 88 GL wagon, hit a snag. I've got a D/L tranny with the small axle stubs, & XT axles. In an old thread, ballitch said ya have to put the tranny end on the XT axle. Two different sizes, so is there a shaft out there with XT on one end & small splined CVJ on the other? Hopin. Thanks guys, S.

from what i have seen all Impreza axles have the same ends as the XT6 and you need axles with the smaller inner splines to fit the non turbo low range tranny ? then you will have to take the upper boot off and joint from a 1985-86 turbo 3speed auto tranny , and put it on a xt6 shaft and outer joint or Imp.

the 85-86 turbo 3speed auto axles have the smaller tranny splines but use the bigger cup joint as a RX or XT6 , basicly you will need to find a inner cup with small splines that fits your XT6 shaft .

and no i haven't seen a axle that fits the 5lug hub and fits the smaller tranny ends . but i could be wrong :eek: , stranger things have happened :lol:

i just pulled a set of 1993 2wd Imp. axles from a EJ 1.8L automatic out and it had the 25spline unless the 5speeds are 23 ? but from what i know all EJ 5speed 2wd trannys have the same guts as a EA turbo 2WD and they use the 25spline axles ?

Odd- I know my 2wd Legacy donor has 25spline axles with a 5speed, but it's a much larger car with a bigger engine.

On edit:

The 93-94 Impreza 2wd manual has it's own axles. The 2wd auto has the same axles as any of the AWD ones.

Edited by 4x4_Welder

yep, only 5MT FWD 1.8l '93-'94 imprezas have 23 spline axles. auto trans, legacy, AWD, all have 25s.

also, as discussed in gary's thread in the offroad section, while the outer end of the axle/hub will interchange with EJ/ER stuff. the inner wheel bearing seal is different. I found some seal part numbers that THEORETICALLY should work....