Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wagon running poorly...

Engine: EA82T (87 GL10)

Car as of recently is running piss poor... Sounds a lot like an exhaust leak, however it will occasionally clear up and go away and run fantastic... I through out the exhaust leak idea because I would get under the vehicle and while I could hear it I most certainly could not find a leak anywhere...

When I started searching for another cause, with the engine running, I would remove one spark plug wire at a time and listen for a change in the engine... I noticed I could remove one of the plug wires and the engine idle would not change... Decided the car deserved new plugs and wires... Got them put in and nothing still the same condition... The plug wire I was removing was the front passenger side so I assumed it could possibly be a coil going bad, not having the power to overcome the resistance of the longer wire... I really don't have much cash right now so I don't want to go buying more parts that might not be the fix...

Also was wondering if sounds like a possible condition of low compression in the cylinder? Any thoughts/ideas/direction would be appreciated...

-caleb

Also was wondering if sounds like a possible condition of low compression in the cylinder? Any thoughts/ideas/direction would be appreciated...

Yes you need to do a compression test. It sounds a bit like a dead cyl. Did you check the cap&rotor?

Yes you need to do a compression test. It sounds a bit like a dead cyl. Did you check the cap&rotor?

Cap and rotor look good, when I remove the plugs wires from the cap, while the engine is running, its getting a good arc between the wire and the cap... Guess i need to compression test it... However it has been to the point where its will run extremely bad and I can remove two plug wires and nothing changes; passenger front and driver rear... Kinda odd to lose compression in two cylinders on opposite sides simultaneously isn't it?

How did that plug look when you pulled it? Was it black and kinda sooty looking, wet, or white?

Does the car burn oil?

Two plugs were black (not sooty) and wet, other two where the grayish white color... Car doesn't not burn oil at all....

Its just very odd considering it switches from running on 3 cylinders to 2 cylinders and sometimes back to running normal on all 4...