Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am considering replacing the existing headliner to my '99 Forester. I understand how to do the obvious- removing plastic fascia, hooks, lights, and visors. My question:

1. Before I call Subaru what is the ballpark for a new OEM Headliner?

2. Do I need more then a headliner - unseen clips etc.,? Or does the Subaru replacement come with everything needed?

3. After removing the soft decorative interior (not black door seals) rubber molding, are they reusable or is it best to order new.

4. The original headliner does not appear to be glued in place, but fastened. Is any adhesive required?

Thank is advance for any pointers.

John

john40iowa,

You have a straight forward job ahead of you, particularly without a sunroof. I've done several of these removal/replacements and you'll not need any special tools or to even consider buying a new headliner, unless yours is already ruined somehow.

There is no glue used to secure it in place. All of the overhead pieces (sunvisors/ rear view mirror/assist straps/interior lights/and high mount rear seat belt anchors) and the A,B,and C pillar mouldings and door opening seals are what hold it in place. As well, you may have 2 or 3 ceiling plugs in the rear area that just pull straight down to remove.

You will have to remove the front seat belt loop anchors on the B pillar that are just above your ear (when seated in the front of the car), to be able to remove the B pillar finisher moulding, but just the top half of the moulding has to be pulled. You may need a special socket for those seat belt loop anchors. Flip up the moulding over the loop and check, but I believe its a T50 Torx bit for a 3/8ths socket.

Those A,B,and C pillar finisher mouldings just pull straight out and away from their anchor points, but there may be a screw or two in the C pillar. Be firm with them, but be careful not to break or split any of them.

Hint: Keep your hands clean during the removal and replacement. It is fairly easy to mark up the headliner with grease and dirt, and darn hard to get it off without maring the surface material. Remove your front head rests before you start, and fold the rear seats down. Obviously you remove the headliner through the rear tailgate.

In all you may be looking at an hour or hour and a half at most to yank the headliner. Its not hard, just fiddly. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice! Yes it will need a new one, as previous owners let their dogs live in the back. How much insulation is up there? Doesn't sound like much. I might have to sound insulate it as well; no problem since I've already done most of the rest of the car.

Edited by john40iowa