Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newb from france with 98 outback MT 2,5

Hi

I'm looking for information about this vehicule witch is quite rare in my country where you can mostly find impreza gt turbo or wrx.

my ride is

an 1998 legacy outback

Manual transmission (dual shift range)

83000 miles

and Head Gasket Issue

I'd like to know if it can easily receive a EJ20T to subsitute this ************ty EJ25D?

Or, if only the EJ22 can fit easily in my coffin.

Thanks for responding

define "easily fit".

what? EJ25's blow headgaskets, are you sure :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: just kidding. saw one for sale today (as usual).

you can put whatever you want in there - you could fit a huge diesel motor in there and call it "easy" if you're a diesel mechanic.

in general the turbo motors are not a plug-and-play swap, you'll be doing wiring harness, ECu stuff.

the EJ22 swap is straight forward and simple in terms of plug and play, no electrical mojo to work with.

this is all US info, i'm not sure what (if any) differences there may be in Europe.

Thanx dude, that's exactly what i was looking for.

The EJ20T is easily available, but EJ22 is quite hard to find ..

My head gasket is an original one non Multi Layer Steel from 98. If i get my EJ25D repaired with MLS HG , do i have to expect more HG Issues in the future?

Thanks for responding.

pS: By "easily" i mean almost Plug & Play.

repair is a great option, repeat failures do happen but they are rare. if you repair it make sure it's done right - heads checked, surfaced, and tested. and use only the Subaru headgasket and follow proper un-torquing and torquing procedures. keep everything clean and do it right and chances are good the engine will outlast how long you have the vehicle.

EJ22 is the only drop in candidate that simple and straight forward.

I believe there is a normally aspirated EJ20 sold in Europe which is essentially an EJ22 with reduced bore and or stroke. That might work, especially if you used it with the US market EJ22 manifold, injectors, and engine harness. I am just speculating here, because I have never seen an EJ20 in person and do not know the specifics of the Euro wiring harness and engine control systems.

Nathan

Ok thank you all.

Yes, we can easily find EJ20 normally aspirated in europe. I've this car for 5 months now. The HG symptoms are not yet very big, the car only warm up and the coolant is leaking out from the "expansion cup" (i don't know how it's called) when there is high pressure in the cylinder(s) (like a big acceleration above 4000 rpm) (Am I clear ?).

The problem is that i don't know for how long it has been like that and if the head et the engine are ok.

What about the H6 EJ30 ?

the only easy swaps are the EJ18/EJ20/EJ25 non-turbo engines.

While I can't speak of Euro-differences, the only thing you need to look out for is the EGR valve (your EJ25 probably has one, make sure the replacement has one). Or you can ignore it, I hate EGR and remove them, but you get a check engine light which you might not like or it might not even be legal. Also there are two exhaust set ups - single port or dual port heads ont he engine. Doesn't matter though as the exhaust manifolds are interchangeable. If your new engine has single port, just get the manifold for it as well, it'll bolt right up to your car.

THose are the two major differences in US cars, but they are both easily addressable.

H6 and turbo motors are completely different in all sorts of ways. Huge job to swap those.

Rosco did you find a resolution for your problem? I have a 2002 forester with the same problem, actually i need a motor mine is locked up and it has a big hole in the block here in Germany the 2.5l is also hard to find. Did you get a EJ22 or EJ20 for your car? I would like to talk to you and see what you have done... please email me gianfranco.bifulco@gmail.com

please email me XXXX @ gmail.com

Don't put your mail address in a forum, however gmail has good spamfilters. Use personal messages!

The euro EJ20 is:

116 BHP and fits as a EJ22 which is actually also sold a lot in Europe. As far as i know the wiring is the same on these two engines if equipped with same sensors (not all have EGR system).