Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Folks,

Has anyone every done an average of the expected life of the HG? My Legacy wagon (2001 SOHC) now has over 170 000 KM's (about 105 K miles) on it. I have been putting in the 'conditioner' but realize time is against me. I just fished the Timing Belt, WP as well as valve adjust and new seals...curious if I am on borrowed time until the HG goes.

As well, anyone had any luck doing the HG while engine still in the car? I am preparing myself for the enevitable whicj I am sure will happen in the dead of winter!!

regards

scott

"max life" or "average" here is a fruitless discussion. There is no average - almost every mile mark sees head gasket failures and some see none. You have the much better EJ25 anyway, so this is all pointless in my opinion.

Yours being the SOHC even if it does start to fail it's not the annoying leave-you-stranded kind of failures like hte older DOHC failures, so I would leave it. It will give you plenty of warning, won't leave you stranded, and is rather benign. I wouldn't replace a SOHC as preventative maintenance. Once they start to leak, it's a very slow seap and causes no problem as long as you refill the coolant if it gets low. they don't overheat unless they run out of coolant, unlike the older ones which overheat randomly, without warning, and when full of coolant.

They're doable in the car, but annoying. Bending over all the time and reaching and lack of room makes it no fun.