Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Warm Starting Problem (CTS) + EGR S. Valve Issue = SOLVED!

Turbone, do you know how that part is supposed to be connected? I can get another valve (this one... http://www.borg1.com/pics/egr_solenoid.jpg) but it seems to be a little different.

In fact, if anybody who's got an 87 GL-10 Turbo, or who's EGR-SV looks like mine, could take a photo that would be immensely helpful!

Edited by mentis

Turbone, do you know how that's supposed part is supposed to be connected? I can get another valve (this one... http://www.borg1.com/pics/egr_solenoid.jpg) but it seems to be a little different.

In fact, if anybody who's got an 87 GL-10 Turbo, or who's EGR-SV looks like mine, could take a photo that would be immensely helpful!

I looked at one of my spare manifolds and the solenoid only had one end hooked up. And that was to a metal line above, I assume to the EGR valve.

The other end should go to a fitting thats in the manifold.

That looks like a plastic cylinder that has a couple of hose fittings off of it.

So I went to install the unit today, and whattya know it's backwards! Lol... has the place for the bolt on the opposite side. Weird... but oh well. Because of this it wouldn't fit in the exact same spot, so I had to figure out another one close by to mount it to.

Now I'm also trying to make sure I'm connecting the hoses right. You said that it had one hose which ran from it to a metal line above, so that should be simple enough. But to be sure, was it the fitting that sticks up which connected to the metal line, or the fitting that stick out horizontally?

I'm assuming the former to be the case, and that the horizontal fitting connects to my other hose laying nearby... one which connects to a T that's plugged into the big plastic air intake. Now I just have to lengthen the electrical connector to reach and I should be good...

I got it installed yesterday, and fixed the electrical connector this morning. Seems to be working great and I think it also got rid of the slight fuel smell under the hood ^_^ (which makes sense). Thank you very much for your help with all this Turbone!

This thread is now officially declared "solved." :lol: New CTS and electrical connections for it and the AAV, plus replacing the broken EGR Solenoid Valve and its electrical connector has got the old wagon starting up like a champ every time. Just like it used to!

Thanks to everyone else who helped me on this. You guys are great, and that's why this forum rocks! :grin:

go to a junk yard and check late 80's early 90's gm cars (olds, buick ect.) for the squeese type connectors, i've also noticed these connectors dont corrode as bad or as fast as i have yet to find a crusty one.

generally FWD V6 cars have the best, there are some audi/vw with squeezers too but they tend to be a bit crustier.

also some of the connectors are numbered so if your like me and have your head in a bunch of different cars you can stick the connectors on and replace the injector ones when they go bad and replace them with the numbered ones and do it in firing order and/or 1-2-3-4 so you can know it just by glancing