Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Having trouble getting Cam Sprockets off...

I'm doing headgaskets on my JDM Phase I EJ25, and I'm at the part where I need to get the cams out but I'm having trouble getting the sprockets off. Since I don't have a cam locking tool (love to get one), I'm using a friend and a wrench to hold the cam (via the open valve cover) while I try to loosen the bolt. I've tried a breaker bar, an electric impact, and an air powered one, but nothing. Is there a better method, do I need a bigger impact wrench, or should I just keep trying?

If the belt is still on and assuming the flywheel is on also, I stuck a small screwdriver in the flywheel hole to lock it into place so the crank won't move then loosen each bolt.

I believe one instance I did use an impact (for removal only), but still with the flywheel locked. If the cams are locked on there after the bolts are off use 2 fingers from behind each cam 180 degrees apart from each other and slowly rock it back & forth, it should come out. Mine were locked on there solid-wouldn't budge. Tried everything to remove, then used the finger method, took several rocks to work it loose, finally came out. Good luck.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks guys! I was just really worried about it. I eventually got them off using a massive breaker bar and a friend. I want to do everything 'right'. so that's why I removed the cams. Also, it seems easier to get to the head bolts with the cams out. Anyways, the headgaskets have been replaced (preventative maintenance really, we all know how DOHC EJ25s can be) and the heads are back on. Now I just have to find time to put everything back together and swap it.

Is there a specific reason you have to remove the cams in order to replace the head gaskets?

There is no clearance to get the socket in on on the 2 front and 2 center bolts. The cam is right in front of them.

I found a better method than I used before that worked for me. With the TB on, I used a wrench on the crank sprocket, then another on the cam sprocket and holding both I used opposite resistance. The reason for the TB to be on is if the wrench slips for any reason nothing should move.