Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej swap in brat wont move

sxe111

OK, I've got the engine installed and it started today. Thanks to everybody for the input and write ups. While it was running I thought I would pull it forward just a bit. I put it into gear and let out the clutch, nothing happened. I'm using the stock 4 speed from the 86 brat. I have an ea82 flywheel and pressure plate with the ea81 clutch plate. I used the Nissan throw out bearing. Everything went together like it should. Before I rip it apart does anybody have any idea what might be the problem?

It's a brand new flywheel. I disconnected the clutch cable and took a peek inside. The throw out bearing seems to be too long. It is pushing on the pressure plate. Anybody have any ideas?

Edited by sxe111

Well the directions call for the Nissan one. Surprising this is the only part that has not gone smoothly. I've done lots of V8 swaps in Ford bronco IIs and Chevy s-10's even a few fuel injected and big block swaps into little trucks and nothing has been as easy as the Subaru swap. If anyone has done this and has any input it is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the help so far.

IIRC, the issue is that the EA81 throwout isn't large enough to properly contact the pressure plate fingers on the EA82 pressure plate. You might have to cut some material off the back of the throwout bearing holder to get it to work.... I'm not sure. If you could take a picture of this Nissan TO bearing that would help me - I've heard of people using them but I haven't inspected one personally.

GD

The EA81 Flywheel is thinner. It surface sits closer to the back of the engine.

You should have used the EA81 flywheel if you are using the 4spd D/R from the EA81.

Otherwise you need to mill about 2mm off the crankshaft mating surface of the EA82 wheel.

I'm surprised you didn't have an issue with the starter clearing.

Everything went together just fine. The starter works perfectly. I used the entire Nissan TO bearing assembly. Was I suppose to use the Nissan bearing in the Brat TO bearing housing?

Edited by sxe111

Everything went together just fine. The starter works perfectly. I used the entire Nissan TO bearing assembly. Was I suppose to use the Nissan bearing in the Brat TO bearing housing?

Well went toghether fine except for not working:rolleyes:

I'm telling you, If you are using an EA81 trans, use a EA81 flywheel. Or have you're EA82 flywheel machined to match to the EA81 flywheel dimensions.

You can still use an EA82 or XT6 pressure plate, but until you space the Flywheel mating surface further away from the trans, you are gonna have the TO bearing riding too close to the Pressure plate.

Of course......you did try letting slack out of the cable? Just to rule out the adjustment factor?

Checking the cable was the first step. I took it off from the fork. When I peeked down into the fork hole I can see it is being pushed slightly away from it's pivot point. I was told to use the ea82 flywheel but nobody said anything about having it milled down. I will pull it out and have it done up. Thanks

Checking the cable was the first step. I took it off from the fork. When I peeked down into the fork hole I can see it is being pushed slightly away from it's pivot point. I was told to use the ea82 flywheel but nobody said anything about having it milled down. I will pull it out and have it done up. Thanks

Where is you're original EA81 flywheel? They are lighter anyway and the EA82 plate bolts right to it.

The EA82 TO will not work with the EA81 trans.

The reason you didn't see it mentioned is simple - in large measure people who are swapping out the EA's for EJ engines are not using the 4 speed transmissions. They have syncro and linkage issues, and the gearing in them isn't suited to lifted rigs, etc. Most folks are dropping in the EA82 5 speed D/R or FT4WD transmissions as they are better designed.

I think having the flywheel surfaced to the EA81 specs is probably the best solution although I would be tempted, in your case, to find a 5 speed since you already have the flywheel for it.

GD

That is my next swap. I have a donor car with a 5 speed but it is the push button 4 wheel drive not the dual range. I wanted to get the engine in and moving and drive it until the 4speed took a dump then swap it out. Perhaps I should just swap it all at once.

The 4 speed's have a lot of disadvantages and personally I wouldn't want to run one with near double the HP of what they were built for. I think you should definitely swap it out. You could even use the push-button trans you have for now - they bolt-up identical and the only difference in the linkage is the addition of the 4WD lever and rod - which IIRC will bolt to the push-button linkage tray.

You can use the 4 speed's 4WD lever - you just lengthen it by 1" and it hooks directly to the 5 speed D/R - the interior looks completely stock.

GD