Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission swap- gotta make it work

Here we go. I have a 95 obw with a fried auto transmission. TZ102ZAAAA-C7

I have obtained a transmission from a 98 legacy GT. TZ102Z2DCA-KE

I also got the rear diff from this car so the ratios will be the same.

The electrical plugs don't mate up with the obw and the new trans.

I have gotten different opinions from "experts" locally about matching up wires to make this swap happen.

This looks like a golden opportunity for someone to really show off some shade tree wisdom, so I am patiently awaiting your sincerest responses.

Easiest solution is to swap as much of the harness from the old transmission onto your new one. How much of that is possible?

Rear speed sensor and inhibitor switch (the large doohickey on the passegers side of the trans that the linkage attaches too) both are removable.

Easiest solution is to swap as much of the harness from the old transmission onto your new one. How much of that is possible?

Rear speed sensor and inhibitor switch (the large doohickey on the passegers side of the trans that the linkage attaches too) both are removable.

When I took the gt trans I cut the wires behind the connectors to leave a workable pigtail just in case. matching wires with different color codes was my concern if I had to splice in the connectors. My speculation was if I could figure out which wire did what it should work.

Should the speed sensor and inhibitor switch be swapped out?

Sure enough, the plugs are different. Different shape and pin configuration.

this is news to me, learn something new every day.

i put a 96 trans in a 95 with no trouble at all. i don't remember the part numbers but every thing was a perfect match. and i know 96 and 98 are the same, lots of those swaps have been done.

i guess early 95 was more of a 94.

EDIT: did you check both connectors on the rear of the engine? one is for the trans and one is for the engine. sorry to be so dumb, but 99 was the first year i had ever heard of wiring change, but i don't do 90 - 94 stuff and i just trying to learn this right..

good luck

Edited by johnceggleston

i find it odd the connectors are different too, there's hardly any changes until the ones with a screw on filter.

those parts dont' need to be changed, but if you look the wiring harness is integrated into those, so i was suggesting swapping harnesses.

have you looked into what I said about swapping the harness from the old trans onto the new ones? even if the wires are cut it'd be easy to splice them togther since it's the same wires!

otherwise you might be stuck just getting the wiring diagrams and making it work. to do that you'll want to verify your 95 - is it a late 94 or really a 95 (may have been changes there, although I seem to recall people swapping those too?).

this is news to me, learn something new every day.

i put a 96 trans in a 95 with no trouble at all. i don't remember the part numbers but every thing was a perfect match. and i know 96 and 98 are the same, lots of those swaps have been done.

i guess early 95 was more of a 94.

EDIT: did you check both connectors on the rear of the engine? one is for the trans and one is for the engine. sorry to be so dumb, but 99 was the first year i had ever heard of wiring change, but i don't do 90 - 94 stuff and i just trying to learn this right..

good luck

Since you guys insisted that you didn't know of any changes, I decided to take pictures of the plugs to post.

I first checked the date the car was made. I heard a rumor that the 95 models had some quirks. Mfg. date is 01/95.

When I took the pictures of the plugs on the 98 trans, I then realized that I was separating the wrong connectors inside the engine compartment of the outback. The trans wires are closer to the firewall than I thought

You were right all along.

Thanks much for the input.

Since you guys insisted that you didn't know of any changes, I decided to take pictures of the plugs to post.

I first checked the date the car was made. I heard a rumor that the 95 models had some quirks. Mfg. date is 01/95.

When I took the pictures of the plugs on the 98 trans, I then realized that I was separating the wrong connectors inside the engine compartment of the outback. The trans wires are closer to the firewall than I thought

You were right all along.

Thanks much for the input.

now only one more thing to be sure of before the swap.

how to seat the torque converter correctly.

it's not hard to do if you KNOW it needs doing, but first timers often do not 'seat' it completely and end up DESTROYING their new trans. so read this.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81925&highlight=seat+torque+converter

and good luck