Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Brat Ghost Fuel Problems

Hello to all, Need Help in the worst way... Got my 84 Brat on the road finally, tried to sell it, glad I didn't because now I have this crazy fuel problem that I cant figure out. Just a little history on the Brat.. sat in a field for 4 years, every available crevice had been filled with a mouse house, (criminal I know) was told that engine was seized... checked oil, moved engine and two squirts of starting fluid later and the Brat came to life for the first time in four years. Gotta love the EA81 engine. Drove the Brat for three weeks as a daily driver and the head gaskets blew.

Did a headgasket replacement, my first, replaced all intake gaskets, exaust gaskets, clutch, clutch cable, did a full tune up Plugs (Bocsh Quads) new wires, cap, rotor, oil change, fuel filters (both of them) etc.. Everything went really well on the rebuild, Brat came back to life after a little timing work. Once I started driving it, it was surging like it was starving for fuel. That was when I found out about the second fuel filter back by the fuel pump.:banghead: Once that was replaced it was running fine. Now it is doing it again.. thought it was the filters again so I replaced them.. Both.. still doing it but not all the time. Sometimes it idles just fine runs just like it is supposed to. Then for no reason that I can tell, rpm's drop off car surges like it's starving for fuel and next to impossible to keep at idle... Any thoughts? I don't mind turning the wrenches but I don't know where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.:grin:

I've had the same problem for about 6 months now.

I replaced everything imaginable. Two webers, jets, fuel filters, blew out the lines, plugs, rotor, wires, cap, coil, alternator, FPCU, exhaust. Probably more.

Except the fuel pump, which as others will tell you, " it works or it doesn't"

So i never suspected it.

At my wits end, i installed a "new" fuel pump, and it runs great now, no bucking, surging, or what have you. ( i say that reluctantly, as i've been fooled by everything else thus far).

However, i never had a problem @ idle, so it could be completely unrelated.

Only time will tell if my problem is done for good, but it's food for thought.

+1 to what Jerry DeMoss said.

Thank you both for the info.. Jerry I sent you a PM but if any of you are considering Seafoam... holy crap what are you waiting for?!! I don't know what's in that stuff but I put it in my tank and topped it off and for the first time since I have owned the BRAT my tank read all the way full! Problems not totally ironed out yet but has seemed to make a difference for the better. Any body looking at this with a similar problem... give Seafoam a try. It cost me about $10 bucks and I had to ask for it.. it was behind the counter at my local Checker Auto store. Too easy to not try it.:banana:

DaGodfada