Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i was looking at new air intakes for my 04 outback and found a few of them out there. any suggestions on one that would be better than the other? AEM seems to be a good idea and since i dont really go through deep water im not too worried about getting water in there, but should that me an issue?

99.9% of aftermarket intakes for Subarus DECREASE flow.

these are not Hondas, Mitsu's, Mustangs, etc.

Please research this more. Add some AEM stickers, it will help about the same.

If you want more power, use premium name brands of Gas everytime, and put some new NGK spark plugs in, new OEM plug wires, and a oem filter.

Edited by bheinen74

The stock intake will flow up to around 300 hp without modifications, unless your car is a turbo i wouldn't mess with the intake, and even if it were there are much more effective ways of increasing power.

Remember, if you increase flow via an air filter (K&N), its letting not just more air in but dust, dirt and sand as well.

I know it doesn't make much sense to hear all this, since most N/A engines do benefit from a CAI. It didn't make sense to me either at first, but what they're saying is right. The stock intake pretty much is a CAI, fenderwell anyway. If you want to check out options, maybe a Weapon R? They claim something like 7 hp at the wheels with their intake, BUT it's always best to check with a person who actually has one on their Outback, ask them for the real story. You probably won't be able to feel any difference with another intake, and you'll also be sucking in more debris which = bad.

Subaru uses the snorkal box in the passenger fender well, where it pulls in outside air down low, lower air is cooler and more dense. Its in the fender well outside the engine bay. This is a FACTORY cold air intake (CAI) box, sitting before the air filter.

if you remove it, you are going to lose the cold air, and introduce warmer engine compartment air.

If you add a pre-oiled air filter, you will destory the sensing ability of the MAF sensor, it will clog the wires of it with fine particles of oil, which will attract dirt, and cause less airflow.

Please, do not change anything.