Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 poor gas mileage help

Not getting the gas mileage i should...... im only getting 180 miles per tank on my 1984 GL Hatch. Put the Weber on a few months ago and its been bad on gas ever since, ive asked some local shops if they can tune the carb and motor and they said they dont mess with carbs so im in the dirt at the moment.... anything i can do????

Pull the top off the carb - the jets are at the bottom of the float bowl. Pull one out and read the number on it. Should be something like 130, 135, 140, etc. On the top of the bottom section between the float bowl and the throttle bore's you will see two brass jet looking things - these are the air bleeds. Read the numbers off the top of them. Remove them and with a straightened paper clip that has a 1/16" hook bent in the end of it reach down into the brass hole and pull out the emulsion tubes - read the numbers off those. Then pull the front (and rear if equipped) idle jet holders off the front of the carb and read the numbers off the jets inserted into the jet holders. You should have a set of 7 or 8 numbers - 2 main jets, 2 air bleeds, 2 emulsion tubes, and 1 or 2 idle jets. Bring us those numbers and we will tell you if they are close or way off or what.

GD