Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1980 Toyota Tercel. thoughts??

I found a 1980 Toyota Tercel coupe with 150,000 miles and a new paint job. It doesn't appear to have any rust on the undercarriage or body and the interior is in good shape. It's a 4spd stick and supposedly everything's mechanically sound.

I've been looking for a 40mpg car for work and back (700 miles a week) because the Outback at it's very VERY best gets 30. From what I've read on the net people get 40-50 (seems a little high) pretty regularly out of this model Tercel. Anybody have any experience with this model Toyota? How were the carbs, problem areas, easy to service? From what I understand it has the 20R pretty much based on the 22R and from what I hear the 22R is an EXCELLENT engine. Thank GOODNESS it's not a transversely mounted 4-cylinder. That's one of the most appealing things about it to me.

So you think it's worth anywhere near $1000? That's what he's asking but it seems a bit steep for such an old car but then again at that price it would pay itself off in less than a year.

That model would have the 4AC engine. They are a good, reliable engine, if not real powerful. Biggest issue is rotten vacuum hoses (and there are a lot) causing driveability problems. Price does seem a little high, but if the paint and interior are nice and there is no rust, and it runs good, might not be too bad. Those miles, while not bad for a Toyota, are getting up there. I'd at least check the compression and find out when the last time the timing belt was changed. With good compression and recent timing belt, I'd offer $800 and see if they accept.

Mark

PS

Why on earth was it painted?

I have no idea why it was painted.

He said it has a timing "chain" and I'm assuming those will go a while before needing changed. Next time I go look at it I'll ask him why it's been painted. He said it hasn't been in any wrecks though...

I have no idea why it was painted.

He said it has a timing "chain" and I'm assuming those will go a while before needing changed. Next time I go look at it I'll ask him why it's been painted. He said it hasn't been in any wrecks though...

Chain is good. The chain may have another 50,000 to a gazillion miles left on it depending upon the care the car has received.

Was it painted with a brush or spray can :)

I owned an 82 Tercel with 4 speed manual, bought new. Very reliable for the 100K miles I kept it. Master cylinder, heater blower motor, and front wheel bearings are only failures I can recall. Idler pulley problem was due to dealer install screwup on A/C.

36 mpg is entirely possible, 40 mpg is unrealistic due to the high rpm on the highway. I only got there when limited to steady 55 mph for some reason. I eventually tired of the high rpm drone at 65 mph or more.

Upside is that it can get 29-30 mpg in bumper to bumper city traffic.

Edited by Patrickjd9

• 2 weeks later...