Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dash light problems

So last week I went out in the morning and fired up my little 80 wagon and when I was pulling out onto the road I noticed that when I turn my right turn signal on the left light comes on inside the car... so i pulled over a looked at the out side lights. The outside blinkers were working correctly. So its just my dash indicators that seem to be having the problem. also my temp gauge stopped working.

But after driving for about 30 min the dash starts working fine with all lights working like they should. I am unsure if it is shorting out somewhere or not. Any ideas on to where I should start will be greatly appreciated.

I am running a 86 1.8 motor that I swaped a few months ago but all electrical is 1980 wagon.

I'm thinking either the switch or relay is getting old, as it starts working fine after a little bit. Maybe somethings worn and the contacts are touching wrong causing it to show the wrong indicator, by driving it the contacts move enough to hit right and work correctly.

Thats just a guess, if it was shorting - they either wouldn't work at all/blow a fuse or it would be really dim and look funny.

-Tom :)