Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea-82t, electrical issues

hello board!

ea-82t, 5spd, 1986 gl-10, corky's (no hard feelings corky) old car.

issue, while driving home tonight car died. lights dimed, charge system (idiot light) came on, as well as brake fluid light and stoplamp light. on the digi dash the parking brake pic and one other pic came on, i believe the one that indicates a light out. charge system light would not go out without rpms of 3500 or more. 2 weeks ago i had a similiar problem and was able to get around it by cleaning terminals, installing brand new battery, checking connections, taking apart starter and cleaning and reinstalling and having shucks run a load test on the alternator, which it passed. ran like a champ afterwards.

tonight, after nursing the car off to the side of the road, tightening up alt. belt and checking other connections i was able to start the car right up, drive about 100 feet and lost all electrical, car would not idle and it died. while yanking it home with the truck, did not even have power to keep the hazards on.

now, i'm thinking voltage regulator what does the board think? if it is the voltage reg. where is it located on the ea-82t? one last thing, the charge system light had been coming on and off in the last few days but i just passed it off as some fluke of the digi dash, apparently i was wrong and it was indicating serious problem. do the brake light indicators on the dash perhaps hint to some type of short in that area that might be drawing away amperage?

thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

j.sz.

upon further research and using the search option i have found more info stating that the culprit is the alternator. i suspect it must be the voltage regulator part of the alternator because it tests out a 2nd time just fine, as far as load tests go at shucks. it sounds as if the internal voltage regulator is hard to swap out, so if i understand correctly i'm forced to buy another alternator? from one post it stated that the alternators are interchangeable, is this true?

thanks j.sz.