Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Roo for weekend warrior rally racer?

micklongley

Hey guys, new member here getting more and more interested in subarus. Ive always owned 4WD vehicles including jeeps, toyotas, and Chevys. Im interested in what model you would recommend for someone who is looking to do a lot of backroad drifting rally/baja style driving as well as being a daily driver. I like the wagons just because of the room and storage for work, etc. Plus there are a ton of early 90's Legacy wagons around here for under $2000 which is a motivator. Im looking for something cheap and wouldnt mind banging up. Should I be looking for an older model or a 90's wagon? Im sure parts are easier to find for the 90's but I like the looks and angles of the older generations a lot better. Thanks for having such a great forum!

Mick

Well, this vehicle is going to be used in more of a high speed offroad element, I want to be able to fly on the backroads and sand dunes. I dont think i'll be doing any major mud or rock crawling type stuff... I'll leave that to the Jeep. So ive been reading and it looks like I dont need a D/R tranny, but im still unsure as to what models im looking for exactly.

Thanks,

Mick

i would say look for a 3 door coupe and put rx suspension components on it......if you go for a wagon , you can get a loyale type wagon and do some rx /xt suspension goodies and build the engine up.you will get more hp from the ea-82 right off of the get go.turbo?maybe,ummm yeah,turbo.something in the range of what all these guys do to there rigs , like wjm, or oddcomp.

Welcome to the board :)

I use to own a Jeep CJ-7

If you are looking more for forest trail/dune driving and not rock crawling or mudding. Go for an Impreza Wagon or an Outback Sport.

This will give you the carrying capacity similar to a Jeep Cherokee and the off-road handling for high speed driving. The low center of gravity and the AWD, plus the shorter wheel base will have you going sideways around turns in no time. The OBS can handle mud and stuff, but ground clearance and lack of decent tread are big limiting factors. Lift can be obtained by mounting Forester springs and Legacy outback struts. Imprezas are also easy to mod w/cast off stock WRX parts, front and rear brakes, wheels etc. 2,2L engine as a great workhorse and the 5spd tranny is a blast to drive.

In terms of handling, I was on a drive w/a bunch of WRX going up a mountain road. I was 5th in line out of 9 cars. I was able to hand with them all the way up the mountain. Going down was another issue. My brakes overheated and I had to drop back. ::banghead:

BW

Believe me, I would LOVE to have a WRX wagon or any of the newer ones but cost is the concern, along with not wanting to destroy a pretty vehicle. Im thinking more on the lines of older technology.. sorry I didnt explain that a little better in the first post.

Thanks,

Mick

Pick up one of the early legacy's. They are cheap, have the rugged 2.2L motor, and have rear E brakes. The earlier, boxy cars have front e-brakes, which makes for awkward sideways action. The only downside to the legacy is the ground clearance, but the underside of those cars seems to be able to take abuse without damaging anything badly. The rocker pannels, gas tank, floor pan and floor pan support all seem to get dented in the woods. The Gas tank seems to crush instead of puncturing, and the floor pans can get kicked out from the inside. The legacys are pretty safe too, so when you make that miscalculation on a corner, you get to walk away. Watch out for ABS on the legacys though, I don't think its the most desirable option for dirt racing.