Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2009 Outback or wait for 2010 Forester Diesel

So I have become attached to my Impreza OBS.. but the need for more clearance and space has become apparent. I'm in no big hurry.

I am actually impressed with the gauges and feel of the new outback.. but waiting for the Forester Diesel is appealing too.

Anyone with one of these that could throw me a bone?? prefereably, someone who has owned subarus before? (obviously it will only be our Euro friends who have seen or know someone who for the forester diesel)

I'm not really what most people would call an impreza person but i don't want to look like a mom... i'm too young for that.. LOL!

1 2 3 GO! let out your suggestions!

or just tell me to go get a Jeep.......

-A

clearance and space - the OBW's are nice. we just went from an OBS to an OBW for space reasons. i like the legacy/OBW's better than the foresters and impreza's. they're better trimed, optioned, and tend to be quieter/smoother rides.

although the OBW H6 VDC we have sits really high and i like the way the impreza's/legacy's handle better. our OBW doesn't drive *quite* as nice suspension wise, but it's not a huge difference either and maybe i'm just not used to it yet. it is really funny stepping out, the OBW is much higher...woah, where's the ground already?

get the H6 motor or the diesel if gas mileage is your preference.

as for clearance, if you *need* that much clearance i would think a brand new subaru isn't a great choice, but that's personal preference.

Edited by grossgary

I'd go with the outback/legacy. I don't know what the diesel forester is supposed to get for MPG, and I don't know what fuel prices are like in your neck of the woods. But if I were to buy one, I'd have to get 50mpg just to break even because of the higher cost of diesel and you're sure to pay more for the diesel forester then for the outback/legacy.

On the other hand, maybe having a diesel engine puts you in good standing to switch over to a bio-fuel be it veggie oil, algae oil, LNG, or whatever as diesel's can be easier to convert.

On the other hand, I haven't been in one but, I've been told that the latest body style of the outback/legacy is narrower on the inside then the previous incarnations. I don't know why this is, more room needed for all the airbags they're shoe-horning into cars these days? So that might be a consideration.

On the other hand, if it's only cargo room you're after then a bit narrower in passenger compartment maybe doesn't matter.

OK, how many hands is that? hehehe

Will-