Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 rebuild kits

Hello people, how we doin today?

I've got an 89 DL S.W. 4x4 d/r. I'd like to get some opinions on who sells a good rebuild kit, complete kit at that. I've done some searching, and its a never ending cycle of places saying "yeah we got that kit" you go on their site and all you find is N/A or out of stock, and of course no prices, so I have no idea how much its going to cost.

I'm sure there are superb ones just like there are crappy whats, what are your preferences, and possible links to would be awesome, thanks in advance.

Oh yeah its the 1.8 non turbo, SPFI

well i've never rebuilt one, so if it was your own personal engine, and you had a car that was in primo condition, 130k not a dent or spec of rust, what ever you would order, I'd like to make it as close to a rebuilt one as you would buy from an actual rebuilder. I don't need to worry about the heads, the guy that our yard got this from had the engine rebuilt with a supposed 1 year warranty, however 600 miles later, it threw a rod, and put a hole in the block. The rebuilder was nowhere to be found.

Long story short, I got it for 250, I"ve got another ea82 engine that used to be in my current sub, that blew a head gasket, and cracked head I'm sure (wife filled it with antifreeze, didn't put cap back on, made it about 20 miles and it was dead in the water).

You need to decide if you really want a rebuild kit - main bearings, rod bearings, piston rings, etc. That's a big deal.

A reseal kit - would include head gaskets and everything else.

A rebuild and reseal are so far a part you really need to qualify what you're looking for.

You'll definitely want Fel Pro Permatorque head gaskets torqued 5-10 pounds over the final recommended FSM value no matter what you do. And get the timing belt kits off of ebay.

RAM Performance in clinton Ohio has complete kits of EA81 rebuild stuff that works for EA82's as well. I would personally order from them if I was doing an EA81, EA82, or ER27 rebuild.