Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stop there. By the way brake fluid can damage paint so be careful with it.

Yea. That's probably part of the answer to my question above: what's the physics or chemistry of brake fluid effectiveness as a plastic cleaner and polisher?

It's probably the same brake fluid chemical ingredient that disolves paint and that eats at plastic oxidation (yellow).

A pal of mine told me that the best trick for yellow headlights is CLR

I happen to have some CLR, brake fluid, yellow headlights, and some time this weekend. I'll give it a shot and let you know next week how it goes. I wonder what happens if you mix CLR and brake fluid? Anyone else want to take on that task?

Well, I tried just now some prestone brake fluid (dot 3) that I had on the shelf. It seemed to be taking off a layer of roughness with some elbow grease, but now the lenses appear to be cloudy... any suggestions here? (96 outback 5 spd... 175k)

thanks

badjer

I happen to have some CLR, brake fluid, yellow headlights, and some time this weekend. I'll give it a shot and let you know next week how it goes. I wonder what happens if you mix CLR and brake fluid? Anyone else want to take on that task?

Nothing like replying to yourself. It snowed here this weekend, temps fell in to single digits. No garage so I didn't try it. My dedication declines with the temperature. I'll just drive during daylight hours or tailgate someone with decent headlights until the spring thaw. I could just duct tape a mag light to the hood, probably provide better light at this point anyhow.