Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ac Condensor whining?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hardtail_pride

hardtail_pride

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Orem

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

So its getting colder here, (30's) and im getting this whining sound. I think its from my Ac compressor/ condenser whatever its called. I put this motor in from another car (1.8 spfi Loyale) and i believe there is no freeon in the system at this point. And i dont plan on working on it till spring time. Will my condenser seize up and muff up my belts? Is there a temporary fluid i can fill it up with for lubrications sake? Thanks for the help.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

There should be oil in the system already. Even if the freon has leaked out there should still be oil in the compressor. Could be that the compressor is going out. It's not uncommon.

GD

#3 hardtail_pride

hardtail_pride

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Orem

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

Dang. I just had the belt pulley fail and seize up on me tonight and fixed it. Hopefully it doesn't do the same thing. Will it just stop? What are the signs of the condenser going out? How does it fail? horrible squealing then frozen motor? Thanks

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

They typically just lock up. You can prevent the clutch from engaging by disconnecting the lead to it. Then the clutch will just free-wheel with the belts and no further damage will result to the compressor or your belts.

GD

#5 hardtail_pride

hardtail_pride

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Orem

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

So where might this lead be? im going to go look at the car right now. Im assuming its a wire leading to the back of it or something of the like. Thanks GD your awasome

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:21 PM

Follow the wire going to the clutch - it's on the top of the compressor right behind the belt clutch. Should be pretty obvious - it's probably a round, black, two-wire connector.

GD

#7 hardtail_pride

hardtail_pride

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Orem

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:12 AM

sweet i found it. Thanks for your help:banana:

#8 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:51 AM

The compressor should not be turning, the clutch not engaging, if you do not have the ac or defroster on. If they are not on, the clutch will not engage, so the compressor will not be turning. You will know if it is, it takes half the engine power to turn it :grin:.

If it is not engaged, you disconnect the wires, and you still hear a whine, it could be play in the clutch itself. Sometimes you'll hear a metal on metal screech, or it sounds like a bell ringing. or it's a bearing in another idler pully, like the timing belt tensioners. You could remove the belt on some of these cars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users