Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo Mod: Want to Replace CD Changer w/ iPhone/iPod Input

Totally stock 2k OBW stereo system (the type w/ a seperate cd changer just below the head unit).

A while back my CD changer took a major dump (had to disassemble the thing just to get my cds out :mad:). Needless to say I have no cd player anymore but I'm wondering how hard it could be to modify the cd changer inputs into the head unit to accept an iPod signal?

If I could figure out which wires were R/L audio and switched power I don't see why a standard iPod aux car adapter cable wouldn't work.

With the cd players audio signals replaced by the iPod signals I should be able to select the CD button on the head unit and hear the iPod.

Has anyone ever attempted a mod like this?

The first step would be to obtain the pin-out for the cd changer to head unit wiring harness. Theoretically it should work...

Edited by 211

Charm:

I assume you mean to use a tape-player attachment, FM signal generator, or antenna intercept. None of those are as good as the direct-connect that 211 proposes.

Exactly; thank you!

I'm currently using a cassette adapter to bring the iPod signal to the stereo. Not only do I hear the click-clack-click-clack of the cassete cogs turning inside the tape player, but the quality of sound is far from impressive.

The cassette adapter relies on the iPod's internal digital-to-analog (D/A) converter to process the signal; which is optimized for tiny headphone speakers NOT car stereo speakers. The Aux in however uses the stereo's pre-amp D/A circuit to drive the signals (this is in the case of normal Aux-in supplied head unit's. I don't know how the amplifier logic works coming from the cd changer; is it amplified and converted pre or post head unit?).

Plus most iPod/iPhone aux adapter cables like this one come with a battery and/or sense lead which will charge the device while it's plugged in and power off the device when the car is off.

This will be a nice project for me over the holidays.

I'll be sure to update everyone on any findings!

Edited by 211

I'm not sure I would be up for such a project, but when I inquired with the dealer at the cost of replacing the separate CD unit with one that has iPod input I almost had a heart attack at the cost. For $150 I bought a new CD/AM-FM tuner with iPod adapter built in (included the wiring harness adapter) and installed the radio myself. I hardly ever use the CD anymore since almost all my music is on my first generation iPod. Installation was easy and I saved almost $300.

It's already been done. Look it up and there are write-ups online showing exactly which ribbon and wires to tap into in order to set up an aux in or ipod connection. I've seen the write ups, just google it, they are very well documented with pictures too.

There are also "already converted" subaru stereos for sale. I saw one on ebay not too long ago.

I've done some pretty extensive googling already and some writeups appear to not cover my exact model stereo, others are selling a 'passthrough' adapter that switches between cd and the hacked aux input.

My cd changer straight up does not work; in fact I pulled it out and just the face plate is in it's place so as not to look like a gaping hole of stamped metal. I just want to tap into the existing cd changer wiring harness inputs while having to pay nothing more than 15$ for the iPod to Aux adapter cable.

I've also read that there's a Data Transmit signal which you must satisfy somehow. Without this signal the radio won't shut off and transfer audio to the cd changer...

here's a simple way to do it that's cheap and probably what I may do if i end up with a non-tape deck stereo:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18212&highlight=aux

here's a pre-made version for aux in:

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/product_info.php?products_id=44

ipod, you'd want charging too? not sure about that, i just use my phone and can plug that in separately to charge.

home made version:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Add_an_Aux_In_jack_for_Clarion_Stereo_Head_Unit_I/

there's more out there too - one for a 2002 WRX CD changer that i've seen before.

Edited by grossgary

Unfortunately all of those options require a cd changer to be in place; they also require you to load and 'play' a blank cd. This is not an option for me since my cd changer/player has been removed.

The more I research the more difficult this project may be. The cd changer interfaces to the stereo via a serial data bus protocol (P-Bus, M-Bus or AI-Net, not sure which one the SUbaru stereo uses). This data signal is what's passed to the head unit and attenuates the stereo, tape deck, weather band, etc. It basically tells the stereo to pass control off to the cd changer.

The workaround for this is to load a blank cd so the cd changer thinks it's playing something, when in reality you're injecting your own audio signal via the iPod or aux connections.

I may change focus here and work off the tape deck signal. Somehow modify the tape deck to play but hardwire into the audio with the auxiliary in cable.

subaru installed some AUX in units through the 90's but they were sparse. i wonder if those are based on another non-AUX in unit you could find out how they're wired?

or - you could just buy one of those units. being 10+ years old and undesirable, they're likely to be cheap.

the subaru stereos i have seem to have two plugs in the back, i've always wondered what the the two of these do? i mean one is for the standard plug - the other is usually empty?

I was actually thinking of opening up the tape player part, and cutting the wires off the magnetic pickup, then use a little circuit to match the impedance to the headphone output of an iPod and then putting a little headphone socket on the little tape player door.

I just have to get around to opening up my stereo

First of all, I would NEVER suggest using a tape adaptor, ugh. I would suggest using an inline antenna aux unit thingy. But, you would still need to run a second power wire to charge your ipod, that is true. However, there are other options still...like a new stereo. On the mid-range scale, there's what I put in my Outback...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+50W+x+4+MOSFET+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B/Satellite+Radio/HD+Radio-Ready+CD+Deck/8715731.p?id=1199496560341&skuId=8715731

With the triple DIN opening, I wanted a double DIN deck and my options were rather limited. After a year with the unit I'm still not sure I love it, but the ipod controls are its best feature.

For a lot more money you could get a nav unit. For a lot less money you could get this one, regularly $109, but it's currently on sale...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+-+50W+x+4+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B-Ready+In-Dash+CD+Deck+with+Detachable+Faceplate/9198628.p?id=1218056721138&skuId=9198628

Granted, you still need to get the wiring harness to make the install 'clean' plus the insert pockets to take up the space of the old changer. But, for under $200, you will have a very cleanly installed car stereo, no hacked wiring, and ipod controls.

So, like I said, visit your local car stereo shop and check out the options...there are several.

I think everyone's missing the point. I'm very aware of my other alternatives; buying a new head unit being one of them.

I want to keep the stock unit (there's nothing wrong with the sound of the stock Subaru stereos IMO) and I don't want to spend any additional money other than purchasing a new cable such as this iSimple iPod car adapter.

Plus I love the challenge of hacking into things electronic.

I'm going forward with the tape header option. If I have any success I'll post the results. If not, well... THEN I can drop some $$ on a new stereo