Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which rear badge is correct?

OK, hopefully I can get someone to clarify which is the correct badge for the rear taillight panel for the coupe. Here is what I have,

2442974740070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

The one on the right came on the "good" car and has 3 mounting holes. the one on the right came on the parts car and has 2 mounting holes. Now, when I removed the one on the left from the parts car panel, it had holes in the panel that would also mount the right one, but the panel from the good car only has the 3 holes. Also, the left is metal while the right is plastic. I assume the one on the right is correct and somewhere in it's life, the parts car had the left one "retrofitted". If the left one is not "correct", any insight on what it's from? I may just go with the left one anyways, as it is much more detailed with the scrolling inside the letters, similar to other scrolling on interior badges.

Mark

Hi Mark

The badge on the right in the photo is correct for your 73 coupe. According to my parts catalogues it is correct from '72 to '75. it should match the GL grille badge if you have one (This badge does not have the '1400' script).

OK I kept searching and have found the badge on the left comes from a '72 coupe. Although I cannot find it in the parts books I kept looking because it seemed so familiar. In The Complete Book Of Japanese Import Cars (Petersen Publishing 1972) there is a picture of a brand new 1972 US model GL coupe with the badge shown above on the left. More searching and I finally found a very early US sales brochure (I have always assumed this is from 1972) which shows the same badge on a coupe.

Lee

Edited by Leeroy