Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Noise..

I've put close to 500 miles on my 86' GL-10 Turbo after an engine swap including a new clutch. I've had this continual odd noise from the clutch that happen whenever I shift gears and release the pedal too fast, or when I ride gears ( 2nd gear at 20mph, for example). Haven't heard this in 4th or 5th gear at all. Didn't have this problem before the engine swap, either. The noise kind of sounds like a quick "cough" or metal-against-file kind of noise. This only happens when I'm not accelerating. The clutch is adjusted so that it releases a few inches from the floor (this is what I read to do for a new clutch). I don't have this problem when I release the clutch pedal slowly, so that's what I've been doing lately. It still happens when I ride gears, especially downhill.

Could this just be the noise of the clutch wearing in? Should I tighten/loosen the clutch? I checked all the engine-to transmission bolts and they're fine. Haven't checked the pitching stopper rod but it seems tight.

:banghead:

Thanks

Edited by losingalltouch

• 2 weeks later...