Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am pulling a 2.2 engine out of a 95 Impreza with an auto trans. Maby I can get some tips here. Everything disconnected but trans and motor mounts. Where is the best place to hook a short chain to block to pull the engine out ??? Also I dont see many bolts that hold trans to block,how many are there. Also what will I need to remove converter from flywheel when I split it apart. Need someone thats been there did that. Thanks

remove motor mount bolts. hook the chain to whatever you want. wrap it under the intake, passengers side rear of motor usually has a hook on it for pulling. wrap it around a/c or p/s brackets. it's all just metal, make a good judgement call and hook it up.

remove the bolts around the bellhousing. the two lower ones by the axle are the most annoying, they're nuts actually. remove starter.

torque converter bolts are accessed through the tiny window under the throttle body. remove the rubber plug (if it's still there) and keep rotating the engine to remove the torque conveter bolts one at a time).

Thanks Gary,not the first time you gave me great info. I got a great deal off Ebay on a zero mile 2.2 engine thats on its way home for the price of $300.00. A man in Ill bought it from a Subaru dealer years ago (still in crate) to put in a small one man plane. Never went ahead with his project so now going in my sons car. Give my some tips on firing up a new engine so I dont get a dry start and mess it up. Some day send my you number. Im in WV too and alwasy running into Subarus and parts for sale. thanks

oh you can't install a new engine that way, so you'll have to sell it to me - i'll give you $350. :lol::lol:

the older ones you could prime the pump, the newer ones you can't quite do it the same as the oil pump is connected to the crank so the engine has to turn over to move oil. and not sure how to lube the cylinder walls since being horizontal you can't add oil to the cylinder...well you can but it would only lube the bottom half.

i'd probably start a separate thread for that given that the engine has sat for a very long time and it's going for a first start up.

i'd crank the engine over by hand a bit then crank i over the the starter with the fuel lines disconnected so as to get oil circulating first. but might be another step to do before that on an engine with unknown cylinder wall/oil conditions.