Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 ea82 VERY LOUD TICKING noise...

I have read most of the threads on TOD & ticking lifters, however I am not convinced that that is what my engine is doing.

Today while doing my normal driving, it started, with out any warning. It just started to make a very loud noise. It seems to be coming from the right side of the engine(passenger side). The noise gets faster or slower along with the engine RPM. I am not really sure where to begin with my diagnosis.

This is a 1993 ea82 1.8L with 82,000 miles. I change the oil every 3000 with out fail. I all ways use a synthetic blend 5w-30.(I live in Massachusetts, so it is never cold until winter time). I replaced the Timing Belt & Water Pump at 70,000 miles.

Wouldn't the engine be misfiring if a HLA / Lifter had failed? It doesn't appear to have any other symptoms other than this very loud clacking or ticking noise.

It is very loud. Not an average lifter tick like on other engines.

Would a lifter failure be this loud?

Would an internal engine failure or misfire set an ECU code?

Any help on this would be great! I'll be watching this thread for replies, Thanks in advance.

Edited by Loyale93v

Really!!?? I was was sure it was catastrophic failure! It is very loud.

You think I should drive it in this condition?

How much do the lifters cost?

Would an oil pressure or cylinder compression test confirm this? Or is there a good way to determine which one is the bad one? It is hard to pinpoint where it is coming from exactly. Thanks.

Edited by Loyale93v

what he said - it's HLA's ticking. they can sound insanely loud.

personally i'd reseal or replace the oil pump. i've had quiet a few quiet up with that and it's much quicker than HLA replacement.

i'm not aware of any definitive test, except experience i suppose. i'm sure those of us on here would diagnose it. usually if it's really bad there's just one or two that are noticeably loud from either side or front/back. get a mechanics stethoscope and try to narrow it down that way.

how long has it been doing this? was it fine for 20 years then one day started being really loud (probably not?)?

have the headgaskets ever failed or has the engine ever been overheated?

there's all sorts of possibilities with HLA's.

resealing or replacing oil pumps can quiet noisy HLA's.

resealing the cam carrier can quiet things down.

replacing the HLA's should obviously fix it.

doing all of the above would certainly solve the issue. given the age i wouldn't worry about which ones are good or bad as there's a company Mizpah Engineering that rebuilds them for like $5. given the extensive job involved in replacing it would be silly not to just replace them all.

You'll never believe this!!!

One of the bolts that is on the TC/Flywheel has backed out and is rubbing/tapping against the inside of the bell housing! can you fricken' belive it! And I was thinking I was going to have to do a tear down & rebuild of the top end! Wow PHEW!:lol: