Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'79 brat swap

Ya my only problem has been trying to find the engine all together, the one I have is having way too many problems and would most likely be cheaper to just swap it if you guys hear of any in the Sacramento area let me know, I also have an EA81 from an '84 GL but I don't know if that will bolt up or not

You could get an ea81 (1800 cc version of the ea71). I assume it bolts up to your existing tranny but I don't know that for a fact...maybe you should swap in a D/R tranny while your at it?

The EA81 motor will not bolt up to the EA71 transmission. Also I belive in '79 the gearing was 3.7 and all EA81 are 3.9. So it seems to me that the best swap would be EA81 motor, trans, and rear diff. The existing drive line you have should work with the EA81 trans and EA81 rear diff. How ever i'm not sure if the EA71 axle's will work with the EA81 rear diff. I think they would though. I have personally swapped in an EA81 motor and trans into an '80 wagon that had an EA71 motor and trans. However the rear diff was a 3.9 as it was a 2nd gen. Also you'll need the EA81 coil. This will also allow you to have a dual range 4 speed. Then possibly in the future put a 5 speed in relatively easy.

Hope this helps!

-cody