Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'79 brat swap

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 84GLPROJECT

84GLPROJECT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hey guys I have my '79 brat and the engine is just giving me too much trouble I was wondering what the cheapest easiest way to swap it would be (what engine)

Thank you

#2 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,718 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:10 PM

The same engine...EA71 easiest!. Go with a fat case, (later version EA71) and use your flywheel cover.

#3 84GLPROJECT

84GLPROJECT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

My only problem is finding an ea71 is there any other engine that is a little more powerful

#4 Logan K

Logan K

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Edmonds

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

You could get an ea81 (1800 cc version of the ea71). I assume it bolts up to your existing tranny but I don't know that for a fact...maybe you should swap in a D/R tranny while your at it?

#5 84GLPROJECT

84GLPROJECT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

Ya my only problem has been trying to find the engine all together, the one I have is having way too many problems and would most likely be cheaper to just swap it if you guys hear of any in the Sacramento area let me know, I also have an EA81 from an '84 GL but I don't know if that will bolt up or not

#6 sube4x4

sube4x4

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Ronald, Wa near Cle Elum

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

You could get an ea81 (1800 cc version of the ea71). I assume it bolts up to your existing tranny but I don't know that for a fact...maybe you should swap in a D/R tranny while your at it?

The EA81 motor will not bolt up to the EA71 transmission. Also I belive in '79 the gearing was 3.7 and all EA81 are 3.9. So it seems to me that the best swap would be EA81 motor, trans, and rear diff. The existing drive line you have should work with the EA81 trans and EA81 rear diff. How ever i'm not sure if the EA71 axle's will work with the EA81 rear diff. I think they would though. I have personally swapped in an EA81 motor and trans into an '80 wagon that had an EA71 motor and trans. However the rear diff was a 3.9 as it was a 2nd gen. Also you'll need the EA81 coil. This will also allow you to have a dual range 4 speed. Then possibly in the future put a 5 speed in relatively easy.

Hope this helps!

-cody

#7 84GLPROJECT

84GLPROJECT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

I'm trying to redo my situation now, does any one know where I can get an EA-71 engine rebuild kit?? Do they exist??

#8 sube4x4

sube4x4

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Ronald, Wa near Cle Elum

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

Try looking on ebay?

-cody

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users