Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Timing Pulley Interchangeability

Is it possible to swap the timing pulleys from a piston style tensioner (setup 97 and earlier) to a 98-99 with the single piece tensioner?

This is for the EJ22.

Searched and couldn't find anything.

Twitch

PS: If the toothed idler self destructs on an interference 2.2 and we cranked it over a couple times, what's the likelihood it bent valves?

Pretty sure my dads 98 forester is running around with crank pulley from a 93 legacy pulley right now with no problems.

-it depends on what the position your pistons were in compared to valves.

not sure i quite follow, you can also you idler pulleys from a 91-94 on newer, its the tensioner roller that will not work.

IF you are lucky enough like me, a few junkyards runs have found BRAND new timing belts, and all associated tensioners and pulleys on a few, bought them for lets says like 15 bucks a kit lol.

Edited by bheinen74

might get lucky, might not.

yes the old style and new style tensioners are interchangeable - you have to swap the bracket that the tensioners bolt to though, not just the pulley/assembly. get the bracket too.

of the old style tensioners there are two different styles, EJ25 and EJ22 are not the same, so be aware of that as well. someone just posted this info in a parts for sale thread.

Is it possible to swap the timing pulleys from a piston style tensioner (setup 97 and earlier) to a 98-99 with the single piece tensioner?

This is for the EJ22.

Why would you want to? The old piston tensioners are 100 times more reliable than the new spring loaded flappy tensioners.

PS: If the toothed idler self destructs on an interference 2.2 and we cranked it over a couple times, what's the likelihood it bent valves?

Depends on what year engine. 90-95 is non interference so it won't bend valves even if you want it to. 96 seems to be questionable, but the concensus is non interference. 97 and later are interference.

I misspoke.

I meant to convert the flappy (crappy) tensioner to the piston style.

And this is a known interference engine.

It's a 98 car with a new style tensioner EJ22.

This is pretty much just a shot at getting her engine running for as little as possible and hoping nothing is bent and/or damaged.

Twitch

Ahh ok. Easily doable. The bolt holes are there, just need the tensioner, pulley, and bolts to hold it on AFAIK.

Only two ways to find out if you got bent valves. Try to start it, or remove the heads. Sometimes you can see the bent one(s). Removing the valves and rolling them will reveal the crooked ones. Or just have them pressure tested.

Ahh ok. Easily doable. The bolt holes are there, just need the tensioner, pulley, and bolts to hold it on AFAIK.

Only two ways to find out if you got bent valves. Try to start it, or remove the heads. Sometimes you can see the bent one(s). Removing the valves and rolling them will reveal the crooked ones. Or just have them pressure tested.

Just chiming in to confirm, yes, the bracket that holds the little roller is the only difference, it will all bolt on to any EJ. All the holes are there. And also, all your idler pulleys are exactly the same, so you can swap all of them, there is no difference in diameter. If swapping crank pulleys though, you need to make sure the teeth for the crank sensor are an absolute match, I'm surprised no one mentioned that? The trigger teeth that is, the teeth the belt rides on are all the same.

OK, so we got the car running, barely :-\

Bent valves, don't know which side, don't want to pour any more money into

it.

It runs on 3 cylinders, can smell the unburnt fuel.

It has a practically new clutch (less than 1000 miles, maybe fewer than

500) some new stuff here and there, I'll be putting up a yard sale thread as

soon as she decides what she wants to do with it.

Also looking to see if anyone wants to buy it as it sits.

The J/Y over here has a non interference EJ22 sitting in the yard, only thing

missing off of the engine is the pulley that is now on the aforementioned

vehicle.

So, if anybody wanted to do a head swap, its right easy to do, I'll even

direct you to the junkyard.

Twitch

PS: To answer the original question, yes, all timing pulleys from any EJ22 will

swap with the exception of the tensioner pulley, which requires a specific

one depending on style.