Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1996 legacy outback vss code p0500

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,501 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

That would be excellent! Be sure to mention P0500 somewhere in the post so it will pop up if someone searches for that code.

#27 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,535 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

That would be excellent! Be sure to mention P0500 somewhere in the post so it will pop up if someone searches for that code.

The deed is done.

#28 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,535 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

YAY my guide made it in!

Out of curiosity, how many miles on your car?

#29 Giovara

Giovara

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Boone NC

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

192k miles on mine.

#30 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,535 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

192k miles on mine.

Thanks, I was wondering because I have a friend with a gen 2 who just called me this morning asking about p0500... He has 201k, I wonder if it's common for this to happen around 200k? Never seen much of it before. hmm.

#31 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

The '96 I'm having trouble with has 148k. The person currently borrowing it noted that the CEL comes and goes. I think it's very likely the same issue.

GD

#32 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,535 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

When it's not very bad YET, the CEL does come and go. If you watch the real-time coming from the obd2 port you can see it having a weak connection because it'll be reporting half your speed, or only 10mph, etc. Which doesn't cause a CEL, only when it drops to 0. But I can see that causing weird shifting issues with an automatic!!
But all the time the gauge sits there and works just fine.

I was on a 2000 mile road trip alone when mine starting acting up. That was really great :rolleyes: At least mine is a 5speed so no shifting issues.

#33 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

Yep - exactly the same symptoms. Idle changes slightly and the shifting gets werid when the light is on - shifts perfect when it's off. It will be a few more days before I get the car back and have a chance to check this - things went south on a Plymouth timing belt job that it's a loaner for. Did the timing belt, etc - then when replacing the thermostat we found large amounts of oil in the coolant - upon further inspection the head gasket is definately blown..... so now I'm waiting on parts to repair that and the '96 GT is still on loan. :-\

GD

#34 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,535 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

Yep - exactly the same symptoms. Idle changes slightly and the shifting gets werid when the light is on - shifts perfect when it's off. It will be a few more days before I get the car back and have a chance to check this - things went south on a Plymouth timing belt job that it's a loaner for. Did the timing belt, etc - then when replacing the thermostat we found large amounts of oil in the coolant - upon further inspection the head gasket is definately blown..... so now I'm waiting on parts to repair that and the '96 GT is still on loan. :-\

GD

I hate jobs that escalate like that ... I fix computers and the same type of thing is more common than I'd like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users