Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about EA81 Intake coolant lines

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aldoat

Aldoat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Dallas

Posted 02 March 2004 - 08:57 PM

I have read confusing info on the Internet as to the function of the coolant lines that run from/through the EA81/82 intake manifold. Some statements say the lines are to cool the intake from engine heat, others say they are to warm the intake (for emmissions?).

What is the general consensus of those on this Board with knowledge of these engines?

Have been thinking of capping those small water lines. I imagine that the volume of flow thru those small lines has nothing to do with moving coolant from one head to the other (aren't the internal passages for that?). If they are to heat the intake then capping them should make the incoming air cooler. If they are to cool the intake, how effective can they be?

I have already changed my thermo from 195 to 180 to lower temps and removed the splash shield from in front of the disty to increase air flow around the carb so that there isn't a dead spot where higher air temps could be trapped.

So what do you all think?

Aldoat

#2 Aldoat

Aldoat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Dallas

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:46 AM

Thanks Tim but that doesn't answer whether it heats or cools? Would that air bleed still work if you just ran a hose direct from the pipe nipple/thermo switch to the thermo housing nipple without connecting the carb mounting flange nipples? Or am I missing something here (like maybe a screw in my brain pan)?

#3 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,150 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:05 AM

which lines are you talking about?

#4 Aldoat

Aldoat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Dallas

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:50 AM

The little 3/16 or 1/4 inch coolant lines that run under the carb from the heaterhose/waterpump pipe to the carb mount and then from the carb mount to thermostat housing end.

#5 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,150 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:41 AM

on mine with the weber set-up, I have the one on the passenger side hooked up, but have the other side blocked off I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users