Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am looking at a 96 outback wagon, 2.2, 5spd and I pulled a Carfax on it and the car is originally from Alaska. Is there any issues I should be worried about from a car from there?

The car has 58,000 original miles, but I am worried about the possibly of rust or other issues being that it is from the far north?

Thanks

Rust isn't usually too much of an issue on newer soobs. The body panels are galvanized to prevent rust and it seems to work pretty well. 2.2 is the motor to have for reliability sake.

The only way to be sure whether or noth there is rust is to look.

Originally posted by calebz

Rust isn't usually too much of an issue on newer soobs. The body panels are galvanized to prevent rust and it seems to work pretty well. 2.2 is the motor to have for reliability sake.

The only way to be sure whether or noth there is rust is to look.

Yea the only issue is the car is about 4 hours away from where I live so I do not want to make the commitment of driving all that way and then find out all cars from Alaska have some issue. I have seen pictures and it looks like it is great in shape. They are also asking $$$$ so I am going to try to talk them down a bit.

Thanks

It's maybe too cold there most of the time for salt to be effective ;)

If I was the worrying type I would maybe ask myself how often the car was started at a temperature below 30°C. :eek:

But of course no one will give you that info.

Good luck!

That's some pretty low mileage. How much are they asking? Just for info sake: I got my 96 Legacy from a member of this board with 94k for $4,500. You may need to replace the hatch-latch. Seems to rust out on the later 90's wagons, cuz it wasn't galvanized. My car is from the rust belt, lots of salt on the roads, but no body rust.

Originally posted by Lesbaru

That's some pretty low mileage. How much are they asking? Just for info sake: I got my 96 Legacy from a member of this board with 94k for $4,500. You may need to replace the hatch-latch. Seems to rust out on the later 90's wagons, cuz it wasn't galvanized. My car is from the rust belt, lots of salt on the roads, but no body rust.

Yea I check it out not in that good of shape and he wanted $9000 dollars and would not take any offers.