Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Outback VDC Rear Subframe rusted through?

I thought I was hearing a wheel bearing going bad, so I took the car in for service. The guy called me the next day and said the rear frame was rusted through and the whole weight of the back of the car was sitting on two bolts, causing the noise I was hearing in the back end.

Really? This happens in a 2001 car? I'm shocked, to be honest. He showed me the broken points in the subframe, they are rusted clean through. I'm told they are replaceable, but I am no car repair expert. What's involved in replacing this part? How much can I expect to spend on it, assuming the guy I bought the car from not so long ago (dealer and inspected it himself, put an inspection tag on it too..) does not make it right?

wow, you got hosed on that deal, that's terrible.

that's way abnormal for that age. that i was intrigued at the amount of rust on an H6 OBW 2001 just friday that we test drove for a friend. we passed.

it's really not *that* big of a deal to replace the rear subframe, not much to it really.....if you can find someone to do it. they aren't worth much money since there's zero demand for them, so cost of a used one shouldn't be high.

rusted bolts could be annoying if the rust is that bad. inspect the rest of the car well, should be fine ,but no point in all the work if all sorts of other things are equally disastrous.

Apparently, this is the very thing that the recall in 2003 was intended to prevent, but it did not. Subaru is not offering to cover the replacement, however, so now I am going to go after the dealer who sold and inspected this vehicle. The guy put my entire family at risk by certifying it was safe for the road and putting his inspection sticker on it. I think I will have some leg to stand on with him, and he will make it right or I will take him to court. Should be fun. Learned a lesson with this car, though, thats for sure.

How long ago did it get a sticker?

In any case, it won't go from passable condition to rusting through in just a year... That's probably why it was on the lot in the first place. Last owner just traded it in.

Complete BS though, they should fix that.

The sticker went on in December, the funny thing is, I think the guy didn't even really look at it. The check engine light came on a few days after I bought it, which means he reset the computer to get it through, then pasted the sticker on. He will be run through the legal mill on this one, I assure you. Wife = lawyer who didn't like the salesman, and is really pissed. I feel pretty safe in saying we will get something out of this. Money back would be good, then I can go find another Sube to replace this one.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! one of the more creative folks on here with come up with some better words than i can right now, but i've never seen anything like that except in old 1980's stuff. unbelievable for a 2003. that's truly amazing.

Holy rusty metal, Batman!

Best thing to do here is to replace the whole subcradle to repair it properly. This is providin you and or the dealer has a source for this part, either from a wreck or junkyard. But in the end, with the finding of the part, and the labor involved, you may as well push to get your money back, or make the dealer eat all of this.

That is too bad. This is what happens when a car is not washed at all ever in the winter time.

I wish certain car manufacturers would make a winter package option that would include extra underbody coating and stainless hardware and lines, but no one does.

and est coast rust can be as bad if not worse than midwest rust, compounded by salt in the air from the ocean, and equal-to of not more snowfall.

Based on my experience installing hitches at u-haul, wisconsin native cars are half rusted out at 10 years ol, and new cars will start showing rust on the seams in 3 years, and start rusting through at 5 years old.

WOW! The subframe on my 89 rusted out... but that's an 89!!! To be expected.

I wish certain car manufacturers would make a winter package option that would include extra underbody coating and stainless hardware and lines, but no one does.

The problem is, people who can afford the extra cost wouldn't care because they buy a new car every two years anyway.

People who want a cheap car that will last a long time can't buy that new car with nice hardware... But since the rich people never buy them, there wouldn't ever be used ones on the market.

if getting it repaired is an option, replacing the subframe isn't a big deal and since the part has almost zero demand it's not worth much. but - i'd make sure all the brake and gas lines are replaced or have no rust on them/fittings/clamps in the rear. those usually are as bad or worse than the suspension stuffs.

but truthfully - i think you should just unleash your wife on them. :lol: this really shouldn't be your headache to deal with IMO.

i went to look at a 2003 OBW with a friend two weeks ago and it wasn't that bad, but it had an awful lot of rust on it. terrible pitted wheels and stuff too, but low miles. my buddy didn't get it and i told him i wasn't thrilled with the rust. i suppose they just winter drove it and let it set.

Now all I have to do is find a replacement and someone willing to deal with all that rust..oi..

there's a bunch listed all over NY for $48- $200

use http://www.car-parts.com and search in NY, or PA maybe even.

1-800-395-9999 1-315-684-9212 has one in NY A condition for $120

some other places have them for $50 or so, have to call and see if that's everything or just the cross member.

you'll have to call, places will sell various different things on a component like this - you'll probably want a complete subassembly and not just the rear cross member. you want someone to sell you the entire rear crossmember with everything you need bolted to it - like the control arms and such.